Is this guy British or American?

What do you think?. Is he British or American?

http://tinyurl.com/4yltmzn

I’ve already asked 2 British, one says he’s definitely British, the other says he is American for sure.

His accent his English for sure. No trace of any regional accent, does he work for the BBC?

Jamie, it’s the audiobook of George R. R. Martin - a song of ice and fire 04 (a feast of crows)

thank you Jamie!

He sounds British to me.

He sounds English, but there is a definite American influence. When he says ‘summer isles’, the r is not realised as a linking r to the i of isles, but as an r coloured vowel. I don’t know anywhere in the UK where that happens. Also the the o of ‘gods’ is too long, and the a in ‘task’ is too flat. The intonation sounds slightly wrong as well, giving the whole reading a slightly unnatural feel. The accent seems to get better towards the end of the passage.

Possibly it’s an American trying to do an English accent.

You know, I had the same thought, but wanted to say it could be an American trying to sound more posh. :slight_smile:

His diphthongs are American. I agree with Angela that he’s altering his accent to sound British. To me it sounds like an alteration of the trans-Atlantic accent. It was particularly popular among Hollywood actors in the 1930s and 1940s.

It’s funny, it’s what I thought as well, but I didn’t dare to judge. Some words really sound as if they were taken right out of ‘Mary Poppins’.

If he is American, he’s practised well !

‘Mary Poppins’? What, Dick van Dyke? ‘Gor blimey Moiry Pappins! Swup ya chumny, guvna?’

When I saw that film as a child, I actually believed his character was supposed to be American, and I didn’t even know who Dick van Dyke was. I told an American friend that, years later, and she said ‘but Americans don’t sound like that!’ Well… neither do British people, cockney or otherwise.

Also, the robin in the film is an American robin. A travesty if ever there was one.

I found out who’s the reader and he is British! John Lee Tantor Media - John Lee

I too found him a bit weird sometimes, I mean weird pronunciations of some words, for him being British. I thought he was an american trying to speak like a British :stuck_out_tongue:

Wow I even found a post in antimoon.com talking about his accent accent of this audiobook | Antimoon Forum

thank you all!

I am from Bournemouth on the south coast of England and my accent is generic and doesn’t sound like any particular region. This is true with most natives from my town.

You could call it ‘Queens English’ or News reader English. It extends upwards to Oxford but if you go too far east or west then regional accents become more prevalent. (London or Bristol for example)

Gosh, he sounds weird! (Is the person of the reader in the book someone who is not ‘from here’, ie is he talking so oddly on purpose?)

Sanne I believe he speaks this way for the whole book, he’s not putting any weird accent there for anything in particular, those aren’t foreigners.

Yea, he’s very much English. I just think a dramatic/ overly-careful reading (like one done for a recording here), sometimes does strange things to peoples’ accents that wouldn’t occur in normal pronunciation. But his voice doesn’t seem unusual to me.

Interesting, and good find, Berta. In that link to a discussion that you posted, someone else mentions a hint of the Trans-Antlantic accent I talked about:

“I’m just a wee bit mystified why he should pronounce words like ‘after’ and ‘last’ the way he does—it has slight shades of the Trans-Atlantic about it.”

hahaha precise astamoore :slight_smile:

I’m from the U.S. he sounds like one of us. He speaks very clearly and slowly which i’m sure is good for beginners. But I do see a touch of British… he could be both… but probably not, not for sure on the accent to be honest.

Are the following tests reliable?

What American accent do you really have? What American accent do you really have? What American accent do you really have?

Which British accent do you have? Which British accent do you have? Which British accent do you have?