Is there someone who is living in a gated community?

I visited Stevenage three times. It is one of the British new towns. It is not Steve’s town.

“…but maybe when you are refusing to have childrens around you - you are forcing them to live close to a night club or an airport or worst.”

I am sorry Pierre, but I am freaking out with you. If some people in a building want freely live without pets or kids, it’s up to them!! It doesn’t affect other people and of course It doesn’t force anyone to live close to a night club or airport. It doesn’t make sense.

Anyway, it’s clear what you think and what I think about it, so I don’t think it’s worth it talking more about it.

Who do you think was the most violent and cruel in Home Alone? Some people think that American people don’t like their children.

1. Macaulay Culkin as Kevin McCallister
  2. Devin Ratray as Buzz McCallister
  3. Joe Pesci as Harry Lyme
  4. Daniel Stern as Marv Merchants

The Home is not in a gated community. Google マップ

Correction:
http://bit.ly/cP97B6

“The exclusion of gated communities from the rest of society has long-term effects on surrounding households.”
Effects of Gated Communities on the Surrounding Community http://bit.ly/aaUdvl

We have Senior’s residences here with activities for seniors and nurses on duty. These should be forced to accept young couples and families, and with pets.

Come to think of it, girls schools should be forced to take boys, Catholic schools to take Muslims, Muslim schools to take Jews.

If I want to play football on a tennis court that should be allowed too, and why should golf courses not be opened to mountain bikers while we are at it.

No more freedom to organize activities and institutions to suit special interests.

@steve
When we say “gated communities,” it does not mean institutions or facilities. “Community” in this context means “town” or something. Sun City is not an institution for the elderly but a gated community for the elderly. Thank you for your comment.

A community can be many things, a community of ideas, of people or whatever. A gated community can be a community, a town can be a community, a condominium apartment, or even the strata committee can be a community.

An institution can be many things. The institution of marriage, the Tokyo Giants, the school system, a school, etc.

A seniors residence can be a community, and an institution. It may have a governing committee of residences, which is also a community in a way.

I think it is more useful to discuss substance than to debate the meaning of words.

My point is that any group of humans should be free to organize themselves to live or act together in ways that suit their interests and desires, as long as they do not harm others.

"My point is that any group of humans should be free to organize themselves to live or act together in ways that suit their interests and desires, as long as they do not harm others. "

I agree completely. As it pertains to the subject of gated communities, I like the idea because all too often in a normal neighborhood you get someone that moves in down the street and does not take care of their property. Some people have rowdy parties at all hours of the night. Children, especially teenagers can be destructive, just for the sake of being destructive. My grandparents live in a gated community, and the community has by-laws that ensure everyone keeps their property looking nice. You are not allowed to tear apart a car in your driveway, leave junk all over your lawn etc. You have to assure that your animals are not a disturbance to others, and things along these lines. Not only does it allow us to live in a community of like minded people, it protects property values because it is usually expensive to live in a place like this, and the rules ensure proper maintenance and care of your property.

That’s right. Some of these communities even hire so-called Yard Nazis to make sure others comply.

“Some people think that American people don’t like their children.”

Perhaps people in the world community would be shocked that it is common for Japanese couples to leave their children home alone (even children as young as five but even younger sometimes) Now how do you like them apples, honestly?

Honestly, it was bad enough that you tried to slam Americans on the day we remember the dead from the 9/11 attack and now this nonsense about “Americans” being terrible parents. This is nonsense.

I know about Japan. I know about the Yakuza. I’ve seen them in action. I know about how an African-American minister, other Americans, a French priest and Catholic monks from India feed the homeless (hundreds of them) in the Kanto region. I’ve seen them in action.

I’ve talked to hundreds of Japanese people. You’re not the first one to raise the question of inequality in housing in the US. But have you been to Mexico? Do you know where the wealthy people live in Heidelberg? C’mon now. Stop slamming Americans so much. Thank-you.

I think I forget to mention the Pachinko-addicted women who leave their little kids in the car while they go play that silly game.

How many Japanese parents take their kids to feed the homeless?

Can we be real and not theoretical? What have you done to help even out the playing field between the haves and the haves-nots? You don’t have to answer. It’s a just a question for you to ponder before you decide to take another swipe at Americans and Steve bans me because I really love my country.

Please research which countries give the most to other countries in need and how much of their income certain countries share.

I apologize for my tone and uh, the apples remark. Are you happy now? You have a fiery retort.

@Raqui2010

“Some people think that American people don’t like their children.”
I don’t have any reliable or empirical data on this now. I did not say that American people dislike their children. I just wanted to refer to the way Kevin McCallister was described in the movie.

Do you know a few people from Japan were working in the WTC building?

Thank you, for your comment.

Should read “have-nots”

Steve wrote about Canada. In the US, there are communities where older adults (and no, I am not one, but of course, I know people in this age group) can live (pet or no pet), where children can visit overnight, etc., but not live there permanently.

The idea is that as people age, they can still live in an active community, but they can go to a rehab facility/ extended care facility or have assisted living if necessary. For example, an man in his eighties may still be golfing, but his chain-smoking- to- stay- thin- trophy wife in her sixties may need regular care for her emphysema in a nursing home. When he finishes his beer at the club house after a round of golf, he can drop by the nursing facility to say “hi” to Brenda Sue, eyes of blue, Anna Nicole or whatever her name is.

Do you know a few people from Japan were working in the WTC building

Yes, I knew that. I even know where they were working.

Let me be specific, I am one person removed from one of the Japanese victims. I did not know them personally.

“I don’t have any reliable or empirical data on this now. I did not say that American people dislike their children. I just wanted to refer to the way Kevin McCallister was described in the movie.”

Oh, I see your stream of thought now.

I have to be honest, I never would have thought a question about gated communities would have prompted such heated debate and going on 50 posts. Strange what will cause controversy.