Is there a video on how to effectively use Lingq?

If I subscribe to Lingq, is there an instructional video describing tips and tricks to getting the most out of Lingq?

1 Like

I’m sure there are videos on YouTube that show you how to use LingQ, but the thing is, the most effective way of using it will differ very much based on your level and based on trial and error of what actually works for you.

I think the most effective way is to import books and read them while listening along to the audio, but that may not be what others want to do. There is beginner and intermediate content here, and you can also import content from anywhere. There are flashcards, but I never use them.

All that is to say that LingQ is really just a tool that can be used in various ways at various levels.

5 Likes

There is a yellow speech-bubble icon on the lower right of the page when I’m logged into Lingq. It pops up help, including the content at this link:

2 Likes

There’s video’s on youtube on using lingq, but as t_harangi says, it differs depending on the person.

The premise is simple. You learn by reading things/content. This content should be more or less comprehensible (i.e. Steven Krashen’s theories). As far as I am concerned, all Lingq does is:

1. Give me a tool to make the content comprehensible ;
  2. Give me the statistics to track my progress ;
  3. Talk to people doing the same thing on the forum :slight_smile:

Just by looking at what everyone says on the forums you will see that most people have their own way of doing things. Some focus on reading that many hours per day, while other focus on words read or lingqs created, or words learned. Some may prefer a mix with other media such as netflix and others prefer pure reading. Some focus on reading the same thing until they understand it perfectly, while others prefer to switch to new things as soon as they’re done. It really depends on your interests and what works for you. I would say experiment and try different things.

As for me personally, I prefer focusing on words read and generally find 4k-5k words read per day to be the sweet spot. I only rarely engage with audiobooks/podcasts/netflix etc as reading interests me more. However, this has also been (and continues to be) a learning journey for me on what works best.

With respect to the content to read/watch etc, I am also a fan of Matt VS Japan’s Refold method (Matt is a well known speaker/student of Japanese):

4 Likes

LingQ is a suite of tools that you will need to fit into your overall plan and journey.

LingQ makes difficult content accessible faster. It tracks words you self-report to not know, allows you to create definitions bilingually and monolingually, has connections to dictionaries and a wealth of community created definitions.

LingQ works as a journal for your activities including words read, hours spent listening, etc. etc.

LingQ has a content library, as well as connections to various news sites.

Finally, LingQ has a community and tutors that you can use.

Ultimately, you need to think how these fit into your overall plan and goals. If you’re not sure how you should learn, and you’re not willing to have a lot of trial and error, then I’d recommend you read about some of the frameworks other experienced language learners have created:

http://www.alljapaneseallthetime.com/blog/

These frameworks can be adapted to your level and what you want to engage with. From there you can decide how LingQ’s tools can fit into that! The overall key with LingQ is to understand and accept that speaking a language at a high level requires you to first understand at a high level. Understanding at a high level takes a long time and a lot of input, but it doesn’t need to be a boring or “hard”.

If you’re just looking for an immediate next step, I’d say purchase a book that is interesting to you. Ideally one you’re familiar with already. Import it into LingQ, and read every chapter two or three times. Once intensively, once (as) extensively (as possible) with the audiobook, and optionally once just the audiobook. If you do this for 2-3 novels you should start to notice a lot of progress and can then start to think about what your next step should be.

4 Likes