Is that possible to import kindle books into LingQ?

Hi,

I want to import books available on Amazon into LingQ.
Is there a way to import kindle books ?

2 Likes

There is a way, but you will need an app that you will have to pay for. I use Epubor Ultimate.

2 Likes

Thank you I’ll check it!

I’ve not used Epubor Ultimate. It sounds like it’s a more straightforward way to go.

You can also try the instructions here:

Detailed instructions on how to create Kindle-DRM-free e-books on a Win 10 system - Open Forum - LingQ Language Forums

This is how to use calibre to do it. If you have a kindle it’s also a little easier. You just need calibre and the plugin. Then you can “download for usb” from content section in audible. Just open in calibre and then convert to mobi. You’ll have to enter your kindle credentials somewhere in Calibre. I don’t remember off the top of my head. BTW, on newly published Kindle books they are using a new DRM. I don’t know if any of the above ideas work yet on those yet. I’ve not come across that issue myself yet.

1 Like

Open page in Kindle on computer screen. Aim phone (Google translate) at image on computer screen and “take a photo” to convert to text, then copy/paste that text into a lesson on LingQ. Maybe there are better ways, but this one has minimal learning curve… :slight_smile:

Wow, photographing the screen? That would take some serious time for a book! Epubor is actually quite easy. Just download the Kindle book to the Windows Kindle app and it removes the protection quickly. The only downside is the price, but it is a one-time fee and they do keep updating it frequently.

2 Likes

Pretty much everything I’ve been doing has been a lot of work…

Epubor is legal?

The legality of the software is arguable. But IMO, as long as you don’t pass decrypted books to others, I think it’s perfectly moral.

3 Likes

How about iBooks? Would that also work with Epubor @Ginkgo58 ?

No. For ibooks or Apple Books, you need a software called ViWizard (available on Mac only).

I use Calibre and Epubor as well, following the instructions in the post linked above, and it’s been a gamechanger. I buy books in Korean on Google Play Books, then put them through Calibre and Epubor, and then import to LingQ. The whole process takes about 3 minutes. I recently bought an e-ink reader since I was spending so much more time reading once I was able to import books to LingQ, and now use LingQ there. I know some people say that you can just use the dictionaries built into Kindle or whatever other book app you use, but with Korean and Japanese, the conjugation issues mean that many words can’t be looked up, so LingQ is just better for me at this stage. I hope it works for you too.