Irish language

No, nothing delivered so far in Irish I am afraid.

I found an application from the Irish government for funding the promotion of Irish. The application seems very geared towards organizations, so I don’t think they would be keen on granting me the money. Is filling out the application and, if the grant comes through, hiring translators something that LingQ would be willing to do?
The Irish website is The Projects Fund Archives - Foras Na Gaeilge
And I got a quote of around $4,200 (USD) for an English to Irish translation of the 25k words in the mini stories from Immediate translation quote for any language - Translated

I mentioned this 3 months ago on the “ETA on LingQ 5.0?” thread.

1 Like

I noticed on that on the page which you linked the status is noted as “closed” with this note at the end, which I recall being there when you initially posted this.:

Yes, that one is closed now, but the site has other grants available. Perhaps this one if this could be considered a literary project. Regardless, it’s a good site to keep an eye on if you’re looking for funding.

Grants will be awarded based on comprehensive plans submitted by groups/organisations who wish to develop and promote Irish language literary projects.

Closing date: 12 noon, Monday, 9 September 2020
Further Information:
Treoirlínte - Tionscadail Litríochta 2021(c)
Critéir Mheasúnaithe - Cáiliú do dheontas A(c)
Critéir Mheasúnaithe - Cáiliú do dheontas B(c
Application Form:
Please contact Clár na Leabhar Gaeilge at 046 9430419 or by emailing leabhar@forasnagaeilge.ie to request an application form.
Please include the name of the company and a contact number if you are contacting us by email.

There’s actually lots of free Irish material already available online. A lot of Irish language poetry and fairy stories are in the public domain. The limitation is purely with the fact that LingQ has this arbitrary minimum text\audio lesson requirement, and there are zero organisations producing this kind of content in the public domain. Even the taxpayer funded station TG4 does not publish transcripts or subtitles of its Irish language programs.

There are a few languages in this “Limbo” where there are people who want to learn, but all the content available is commercial. Irish is also a constantly changing language such that the way people speak now is very different to the way people are taught in school.

Perhaps if LingQ loosened its requirements for a minimum number of audio lessons, allowing people to upload texts and recording them in their own dialect then you might attract people with the right connections to produce higher quality audio lessons.

1 Like

I may know someone who would be willing to orate them!

You got a reply for an orator here in this thread. Please follow through! I’m looking forward to having Irish available finally.

Pete,

if your on Facebook there is a Native Speaker on a lot of Native Speakers. I would post in groups like Irish Leaner’s book club. Which has a native speaker reading out books via video. But of course I would check with the speaker. He also reads conversations form zoom out aloud. Amazing guy, I imagine he would say cool.

Can we please get an Irish language option? Thanks

1 Like

Dia dhuit.
I have asked in this group. Redirecting...