iPhone not displaying lingq for some Chinese characters

I am using the Lingq app on both ios and android.
When I create the lingq on the website, I download the lessons to both my android phone and Apple iPad.
All of the lingq which I have created on the website appear in the android app lesson, but some are missing in the ios app lesson.

I have tried deleting and installing the Lingq app on my iPad, but when it downloads lessons, a few lingq are still missing (the same ones as before).

Is this a known bug?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

I reported this problem on this thread

The reason for the missing LingQ on the lesson I reported on this thread is that the two characters are counted as two word on the website, but one in the app. The problem characters were 和 and 子, which on the website were counted as two separate characters. I made LingQs for both of these characters. However, on the app, these two were counted as one word, 和子, and I had no LingQ for 和子, so it appeared as any not yet LingQed word would. When I imported 和子 as a LingQ in the vocabulary section, the word appeared LingQed in this lesson on the app.

Thanks for the prompt response.
Some of the lingq which don’t appear are 2 characters and some are one character. But everything displays correctly in the android app!

The ones that are one character, could they be two characters on the website?

On the website they are one character also.

The smartphone android app is displaying correctly so I guess I will have to refer to that for the missing words in the ios app. It is easier to use the iPad because the screen is bigger but oh well.

Thanks.

Yeah, it is a bit of a pain. At least it is only for a few characters. Most are reproduced ok.

I only seem to have noticed this problem for imported lessons, but it only affects the ios app. 奇怪!

@hobbes12, ColinJohnstone - Thank you for providing a detailed explanation of this issue! We’ll take a closer look into this and see what we can do to get it fixed.

Actually there is a few characters that don’t display/link in the android app either (after playing around a bit I still have no idea why) but far fewer compared to the ios app. (Out of 100 characters, maybe 2 or 3 don’t display for the android app, but it could be 10 or more for the ios app). This only applies to the lessons I imported though.

One other interesting thing is, one lesson I imported (cut and pasted), seemed to have a mix of traditional and simplified characters. The traditional characters imported and displayed as simplified characters on the website, but when the lesson was downloaded to the app, it still displayed them as traditional characters so they did not link. Editing the website character to simplified fixed this problem. It seems even if the character is the same in both traditional and simplified character sets, the encoding is different so it may treat it as different depending how it is encoded.

One question I have is, how do the imported lessons handle traditional/ simplified character sets?
(All of the non imported lessons I have seen display only simplified characters).

Thanks.

One request if I may is, would it be possible to have a setting to display Chinese characters even larger in the app? With the large text setting in the app, on a smartphone the Chinese characters are still darn small!

This really only applies to smartphones because on tablets the character size is fine.

Thanks

Could you give some examples of words that are not appearing LingQed? I will check to see if they behave the same for me.

You can try:

啤酒伤身体
牛奶
回合

Actually the second and third lines work when I paste them into a new lesson, but the first line still doesn’t link. The website actually links 伤身 instead of 身体 which is incorrect.
The android app displays the link but not the ios app.
啤酒 is a link on the website, but in the above sentence it doesn’t link in the ios app, but it does in the android app.

Thanks.

If I break the characters up, then they can link. It’s only when they are in a sentence that the link doesn’t work.
So I suppose it has something to do with the way groups of words are put together when they are linked (which is what you encountered).
The android and ios apps are maybe treating grouping of words differently hence the inconsistent linking.

I have imported those three lines using the bookmarklet and I am having a similar problem with the first line. On the website, it is being treated as three words, 啤酒, 伤身, and 体, but on the app, it is treated as one. This is what is causing the problem. It seems the app and the website are sometimes different in how they decide how to break up the text.

Yes exactly!
Actually the website incorrectly creates the 伤身 link instead of the 身体 link. This is another issue and I guess this needs to be manually edited (I am still learning how to do this) but the android app still displays the link.

So apart from the website and apps grouping words differently, the android and ios apps also group them differently compared to each other!