Intensive translating or going through

How do you work with new words in your reading?

Do you looking up meaning of the new words carefully or just mark the word and more intensive checking the meaning is coming later? (= as you find out if the word is repeated often in the article = it is often used and worth to learn)

2 Likes

In the past I was looking up words carefully and thoroughly all the time. But I figured out that that it was not a good use of my time. I would only learn a word when it repeats over and over in the following texts. Trying to cram the meaning in don’t working for me.

1 Like

What do you mean by intesive checking of a word? I read and when I come across a new word, and it is maybe the only word or two in the sentence I don’t know, I’ll read the entire sentence to see if I can guess it from context. If I can’t, I’ll look it up and see if one of the popular translations makes sense in the context. Often they do not and you have to check for sure in one of the other dictionaries (even ones marked as most popular). Then I’ll read the sentence back and try to understand it within that, and then move on in the reading. If there are several words in the sentence, I’ll check them all, and possibly work out the sentence in parts if it has more than one class. Also, single word meanings may not make sense…a word next to it may give an entirely different meaning to that group of words.

2 Likes

I try to find the main meaning of the word, but I write down all the other meanings. So it is easier to understand it when I find it again. I mainly use the WordReference dictionary

1 Like

I was taught at my university that the best method is to have 2 kinds of reading: 75% of general reading when you have to understand the text in general, by looking up only the most important words and 25% of ‘synthetic reading’ when you analyse every word and every new grammar construction.
I believe that is a good method and I recommend to do in this way to all my students.

2 Likes

I mean by it: checking the meaning(s) carefully, intensive checking in dictionary, not shallowly :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you for your opinions!
Why I am asking for, and you can tell me if you have the same experience or not, if I should check meanings all new words deeply (of course, it depends on the current skill of the language but anyway), it takes a long time. Go through a whole book by this strategy seems like unreal.

1 Like