"in" LingQ or "at" LingQ?

I began a thread titled as follows:
What is the most popular language in LingQ?

Is the title all right? Should I have used the preposition “at” before “LingQ?”

at would probably be better…

“at LingQ” but “in the world”

Is “LingQ” supposed to be a point or something?

I think it depends on whether it is an actual location (building, internet site etc.).

Yes… in the world.

But… at the World Trade Center.

I think I would use “on LingQ”, kind of like “on YouTube”, “on the Internet” etc.

I would tend to say “on LingQ.”

If “LingQ” is a learning or learners’ community, which preposition is preferable?

When referring to a website, “on” seems to be the most common preposition. Google search results:

“on Facebook” - 381,000,000
“in Facebook” - 6,800,000
“at Facebook” - 659,000

This is the trouble with prepositions :stuck_out_tongue:

“On and at” are both valid.
“in” is not.

Hope that helps :slight_smile:

By the way Cantango, searching Google for language usage, is a terrible idea. :smiley: A lot of natives seem to have no idea of how English is spelt, which amazes me.

YLearner,

Not being a prescriptive grammarian, I don’t worry too much about what is good or bad usage. I only care about what the native speaks actually say. :slight_smile:

“native speaks” should be “native speakers”

Yeah, I can understand that. I’m not to big on prescriptive grammar either.

I have a diglossic relationship with the English language. Which means “I don’t speak how I write”. This is true for most speakers of most languages but it is even more pronounced as an Australian. Other languages which have this issue are Chinese and Arabic. The thing is, that many English speakers can’t tell the difference between “here and hear”, it’s and its, and many others, which I’m sure you are aware of. I’m not sure why a majority of average internet using English native speakers are convinced that all plurals end in 's. :expressionless: In Dutch, on the other hand, this is a correct plural. Example: video’s.

This is more a problem in English than Yiddish, which I am also studying. There are various orthographic systems for this language and they are all able to operate without me confusing them.

So, these reasons, and undoubtedly, I think we need to remember the issue of diglossia and variance in languages when we think of grammar and spelling.

No doubt, for me at least: it’s at LingQ - like at home! Here at LingQ I feel at home.

Does anyone know how to say it in German?

bei Lingq
in Lingq
oder? ,

Thank you vielmals! :slight_smile:

I remember that Vera wrote ‘bei LingQ’ or ‘mit LingQ’ in her YT video description.
Ich lerne English mit LingQ.
Ich lerne Französisch bei LingQ.

Correct me if I’m wrong.

No correction needed! Both work well.

Hi Vincent!
Now I remember too.
Danke very much!

What is the most popular language at LingQ?
—> Was ist die beliebteste Sprache auf LingQ?
(Google translate)

What do you think of the following sentence:
What is the most popular language among the LingQ members?