Im not sure what dictionary language to use learning Polish (swedish native)

Hi, Im trying to learn polish, my native language is Swedish. But when I only have swedish as the dictionary language I only get google translate suggestions, which I dont always trust. So Ive been using english as the dictionary language up until now. It gives me more suggestions but Im starting to feel that it slows me down sometimes, having my brain translate from polish to english to swedish and back.

What would you do? stick with english to get more accurate translations from polish and have to go a bit slower or change to your native language and only get google translations which could really mess things up.

Im happy for any thoughts och input on this!

1 Like

I really like your question! I would proceed like this:

• chunk translation with DeepL in Swedish.
  • single words in English (or Polish). You can then translate them manually to Swedish.

But normally if you translate the whole sentence first into Swedish you will also figure what the single words mean.

Let’s take this sentence from the second MS:

Blockquote

Zostanę w domu by zaoszczędzić pieniądze i poświęcę czas na naukę.

Blockquote

With the help of DeepL (which should be the integrated translator also for Swedish) you can break this sentence perfectly down and get the translation for all the words.

1. Zostanę w domu
  2. zaoszczędzić pieniądze
  3. poświęcę czas na naukę.

I would translate these chunks into Swedish.

1 Like

I would stop translating twice. Even language to language translation is many times only giving you a range of meanings. If you aren’t confident with some of the English translations, then you might want to train your English vocab too. Maybe read some books. Back in the day I stopped using English-Finnish translations when I was about B2 level and only used English definitions. That helps greatly to expand your vocab as you usually get several synonoms, which you might not know at the time, but start to assosiate those with words they are grouped with.

1 Like

Thank you both for your thoughts and suggestions. I decided to give swedish a try but after just a few lessons it was very clear that the google-translate-swedish would do me no good. I really felt I wanted the variations in the many suggestions a got from the english one. Thanks for your help anyway :slight_smile:

1 Like

Nie ma za co. Powodzenia!

2 Likes

As you only want to communicate in Polish I think it’s ok to use English as your dictionary language and I would recommend you to take help from someone who speaks Polish like a friend or a teacher with whom you can communicate more like a language exchange partner.

2 Likes