I'm completely baffled by lingq

My lessons and dashboard don’t work at all as they do in the instructional videos. Nor do they appear as they do on the videos. When I hover over a word nothing happens. If I click on a word I am instructed to take an action on a word well behind where I want to be, one I don’t need to learn or review or anything else! It’s asking me to do this with EVERY SINGLE WORD IN THE TEXT! This is totally frustrating, no videos explain what is actually what I see and experience, I can make no headway at all!! Are the videos outdated? Where do I actually learn how to use what is in front of me?!#!@?

1 Like

Welcome to LingQ, Micenkova. Cheer up and take heart. LingQ baffles some of us who have been members for years. :slight_smile:

I’ve never looked at the videos, so I don’t know what they tell you or whether they are accurate. But I “think” one problem you face is the peripatetic cursor that seems to jump from here to there on the page without apparent rhyme or reason. Though there IS rhyme and reason, and the feature can be very useful, you can turn it off. Try going to a lesson, clicking on the gear wheel near the top of the page, then clicking on Turn QuickLingQ Mode OFF. That should return control of the cursor to you, and the word you click on will be the word you want. I hope.

Bonne année, mon vieux!

I sometimes have a problem where there is a delay in the words. Where I click on a word and it asks me about the last word that I have already linked. I usually find that shutting down the browser and reloading it fixes the problem. As in most things tech, “when in doubt, reboot.” If you have persistent problems, you may want to try a different browser. I find chrome a bit more reliable than explorer, but both work for me. I can’t speak to the others.

maybe it depends on the browser you are using. I’m using Chrome and it works just fine.

Maybe stop using Windows ExploDer and use Chrome or Firefox. :stuck_out_tongue:

Yes, I had your same predicament. I thought there was an option where you could click on the box “don’t show this again” or something along those words.

Or perhaps make a LingQ (hit Enter or press on one of the hints).

1 Like

Welcome to the site, and sorry to hear you’re having some trouble! The videos were recorded previously, so some of the interface has changed since then but the overall concept is the same.

The most important thing to keep in mind is that your goal is to get rid of blue words. When you click on a word, we want you to take an action with this word. This means either saving the word by selecting a hint, searching the dictionary for this word, marking it as known or ignoring the word. This will help the system keep track of which words you know and which words you don’t know. After this popup appears a few times, you can click a “Don’t show me this again” link that will appear.

By getting rid of blue words, you will then begin to get a better sense of how difficult a lesson is based on how many blue (new) words there are. In addition, you’ll be able to see yellow (saved) words in future lessons and will be able to review these words through various different vocabulary tests.

I’m sure you still have lots of questions, but hopefully this will get you started on the right path. If you still have trouble let us know!

On LingQ you are essentially building your own personal database of words and phrases you have learnt and are learning. Since you are making the database from scratch, for the first few lessons LingQ will seem more effort than it is worth. This is especially true if you start using LingQ with more than a basic knowledge of the language. But trust those of us who have been using it for some time, it is an excellent tool and the more you use it the more useful it becomes.

Hi ! =))

My personal experience is, to learn just ANY foreign language what you really need is: an audio file, a written text of that audio file, and the translation of this text. And that’s basically it!

The rest is grammar! Without real understanding and knowledge of how the words are connected into the sentence in any language and how they relate to each other you will not be able to study any language AT ALL! And it doesn’t matter if you have a ‘known words’ indicator showing a 1 000 000 or 2 000 000 words here…

This is exactly the reason I’ve got an ‘All-Zeroes’ indicator here with the Japanese 1 as a test indicator! :wink:

Besides, what I’ve noticed from my experience, when you really want to learn any language the words are memorized by themselves, no matter if you want to learn them or not, without you even noticing they are, so you do not have to bother about these indicators at all…

And, again, it’s grammar that ultimately matters, not the word count, as you will be able to explain what you need even having just a handful of words but only on condition you know grammar, but not vice versa…

1 Like

I would politely disagree with you Pauler here. I would say it is words and groups of words that are important, not grammar. I struggle to learn grammar without already knowing lots of words and being familiar with the patterns even if I don’t understand the rules. For example I have had the rules of the Spanish subjunctive explained to me in 100 different ways and I still don’t really understand them. I am however familiar with the word patterns and therefore I can use and understand it. LingQ focuses on words and patterns, and becomes really useful when you start LingQ-ing not just words but phrasal patterns. And lots of them.

1 Like

Hi ! =)))

But this is exactly what I mean, that’s why I fully argee with you! =)))

I’m in NO way a supporter of learning grammar as a separate subject, unless you are a professional linguist! =))) No, no way! =)) The reason is, it just won’t work, as far as communication skills are concerned…

Besides, nobody rules out the ‘communicative grammar’ approach, something that has never been mentioned here, but this method proved to be really effective, as far as gaining communication skills is concerned.

You only proved my point mentioning patterns and phrasal patterns; these are none the other as the aspects of communicative grammar! =))) It’s only that I’d prefer both, communicative AND academic grammar, as the former is a bit parrot-wise without the latter! :wink:

1 Like

Ah, yeah, as for the subjuncitve in Spanish, I’m nearly sure it’s very much similar to that in Latin, and because we studied it I do understand that the principles are just as complicated as they were back then, during the times Latin was a spoken language! :wink:

1 Like

Oh cool, I guess we agree more than we disagree then! I think it’s because I think LingQ occasionally gets mistaken for just being about word acquisition. I see it more as a tool for noticing patterns. And patterns are of course about grammar, but most people (including me) have been scared off learning languages because of an over-emphasis on learning rules and verb tables etc.

1 Like

I surely agree with you, no doubt! =)))

That’s exactly what puzzled me a bit, but I do understand the reason for this.

It’s always been a problem to express a humanitarian-based process, language acquisition in this case, in a mathematical way; a process often referred to as formalisation process.

The problem is, the counter is capable of just counting the entries, i.e. be it just separate words or the really meaningful word combinations, for the counter indicator they are just words, having an absolutely equal ‘weight’ if I may call it this way, and this is where the problems begin.

Separate words are incomparable with meaningful phrase patterns by their ‘weight’, and they can’t be equalized that simple! But the counter indicator just counts them as equal entries, as this is the only way it can count them… The problem is, I just can’t say what factor do they have to be multiplied by - but they definitely have to - to adequately indicate their real ‘weight’, and probably, nobody can! :wink:

I do understand you about being scared by the rules learning and verb conjucation paradigms, etc. This is a definite way to nowhere!

The reason is very simple and obvious, grammar is all about the communication, be it oral or written, not about us exchanging the knowledge of rules or verb forms we were compelled to learn! =)))))

Exactly, for this reason the known word count tells you very little about your current level. It is quite nice to watch it gradually rise though! :slight_smile:

I was thinking about this the other day: although we think of languages as being made up of words, phrases are actually the building blocks of a language. Words are just “complex letters” that have hundred of uses, but only get a fixed meaning when part of phrase.

So in the same way we wouldn’t spend all our time learning the letters or sounds of a language, the same is true with words.

1 Like

I"m using chrome too

Thank you for this; I have grammar anyway, don’t need to focus on it for French; it’s phrasal patterns I like to focus on to ameliorate my oral comprehension and vocab

Well, I do agree, any progress indicator, just of any sort is a type of additional insentive, but I’d rather it were not the sole motivator, though! :wink:

You are absolutely right! In a traditional way of language teaching we are always made to think of any language as being all about the words only! But it is not! A language is all about its smallest building blocks which are phrases, or, down to the lowest limit, at least two-word phrases! This is where ‘the feeling of a language’ actually begins! =))

That’s exactly why I became so much interested in Chinese, as it is 100% devoid of any letters at all ! Just signs, each denoting a notion, not a word or its pronounciation! =)))

Besides, what I really feel is important for any language acquisition and what is totally rejected by the teachers, at least in Russia, is a role of a word-for-word translation! =)))

Taking my Tagalog, for example: Before I knew the real sentence sounds like, “Eating a girl the food yesterday.” I didn’t feel the structure of the sentence at all, as I didn’t feel the omitted ‘to be’ as it is never used in Tagalog, I also couldn’t feel that Tagalog verbs do not have any tense at all, just complete and incomplete aspects, the tense being expressed by other means as can clearly be seen by this example sentence! :wink:

I wouldn’s feel this at all, unless I had a word-for-word translation! =))) And reading just theoretical explanation of the grammar rules didn’t help me at all! :wink: Or, rather, it did, but not until after I had a real feeling of the sentence structure! :wink:

Regarding the popup that ask you to take an action on every single word which is insane, you have to clic on the phrase “remember this action”. BUT each time you remove LingQ cookies from you browser , you are asked again to make a choice. !!!

So double-check that your Chrome doesn’t clear cookies each time he’s close, or you arent in a so call “Private” mode…

I’m not sure what this means, but I’ll look into it. I’m still learning how to use lingq obviously, which is what those videos in the academy are supposed to facilitate…which is why I’ve been so frustrated…thanks for the forum !
Well, I just looked, and there is no “remember this action” option anywhere. Maybe chrome isn’t the best browser…?

Well micenkova, I’ve just got a quick look. I removed LingQ cookies then open a lesson. As I selected a word, I got a popup saying:
Before leaving this word you should take one of these actions:

1 Click to save one of the displayed Hints for this word.
2 Mark the word as Known. You can re-select it later if this changes.
3 Ignore this word. You can always select it again later.
4 Check available dictionaries and create your own Hint.

Continue and come back later | Don’t show me this notice anymore

Click on nothing expect the “Don’t show me this notice anymore” which is gray !!! (that’s why I had a hard time figured it out…)

FYI: You’ll got a cookie called supressBlue available for www.lingq.com domain, if you remove this cookie from your browser, you’ll be prompt again.
Hope this help…