I told you I don't want you buying me stuff

I didn’t know I can put “Ving form” after “want” until I saw the subtitle just now.
And the meaning is also different from “want to”, right?
But still I want to make sure what I think is correct here.
I don’t want you to buy me stuff.
I don’t want you buying me stuff. ----> it means you’ve already bought something, right?

Thank you!!!

I think that “I don’t want you to buy me stuff” and “I don’t want you buying me stuff” have the same meaning, but “I don’t want you to buy me stuff” is better English. However, saying either one does not always mean that you have already bought something. You could have told them you were planning to buy something, or maybe they thought you were going to buy them something.

No, it does not mean that you’ve already bought something. It means almost the same as “I do not want you to buy me stuff”:

“I don’t want you buying me stuff” may indicate a more general time frame; neither now, nor in the future.

“I don’t want you to buy me stuff” could mean a specific time. For example, you’re going shopping this afternoon, but I don’t want you to buy stuff for me then.

However, the difference is very slight and they could easily be used interchangeably in either situation. The phrasing used in the subtitle might be a bit less formal in my opinion.

1 Like

I agree the to-infin. and -ing gerund forms are approximately the same, but the latter does have more of an implicature that the addressee had indeed bought the speaker stuff/something. The implicature is even stronger in the opening form:
“I told you I don’t want you buying me stuff.”

In English, an opening “I told you…” connotes the affect (very slight, depending on region) of irritation. I will expand the utterance thus (to show the speaker’s perception and affect):
“I told you [that] I didn’t want you buying me stuff but it seems you did not listen to me when I told you; because I see here this stuff that you bought me.”

incidentally:
I don’t want [you buying me stuff]

…it’s not just the V-ing (V-ing here is called the gerund form of a verb: it is the substantive counterpart to an adjectival participle) that is taking the verbal action of ‘want’, it is the entire phrase “…you/him/her/Bob/etc. V-ing me stuff”.
It’s called a gerund-phrase, and and this gerund phrase is the entire object of the verb ‘want’ here. The gerund gives the entire phrase the force of an event… a thing; and things can be the objects of verbs, of course.

tl; dr: The speaker does not want such an event, does not want the “You buy me stuff”-event.