I tend to make a note which is kind of useful sentences from LingQ

Hi,I have been learning English on LingQ.
I realize that I tend to make a note when i learn a language.
like picking up sentenses which I think important and useful.
but,at the same time,I come to think that this way is ineffective and I feel like wasting time.
because I don’t have a sence that I feel improving my skills and I’m staying at the same episode.
Do you think it’s not necessary to make notes?

What do you think?

Thank you!

I don’t think it wastes your time.
When I was interested in American and British cooking, I made the word lists in alphabetical order to build English vocabulary about cooking.
At first, I had to spend my time almost half a day to understand the recipe in English. I had to see the lists while I was cooking.
But then, I was able to cook a meal without using the lists because I was able to memorize the vocabulary.
So I think if you see your phrases many times at some intervals, I’m sure that it will be helpful to you.
Please let me know the way of using your note of your own?

2 Likes

I think it is important to do what you like to do. Personally I don’t think making notes is very useful. Or rather I think time is better spent listening, reading and LingQing or writing and speaking. I occasionally make notes but rarely ever look at those notes. I think the benefit of making notes is the fact that you concentrate on whatever you are making the note about. This may help you remember. In other words making the note maybe more important than ever looking at the note again. But those are my experiences and my preferences. Each person will find what works for them and what they most like doing.

1 Like

I think that both reading and LingQing give us the occasion to meet the unknown words many times. That’s why our brain can focus on it and memorize it. I think that looking at the notes has the same meaning as that.
Making the notes needs much time, so if we just write down the words and if we never open it, it would ended up wasting time.

2 Likes

@migitadesuyo : “I realize that I tend to make a note when i learn a language. like picking up sentenses which I think important and useful.”

Remember that you can highlight an entire phrase. The phrase becomes part of your Vocabulary Items, and you and review it there. But maybe you do that already?

Thanks for your advice.
as steve said that I found that making the note is more important than looking it again to me.
and at the same time,I also found that I seem to avoid listening the resources.
It might be making me boring.
I have been going the note over and over again everyday regardress of listening.
But I understand listening is important.
Because,I have watched all steve’s video which are put on youtube.
And most of my english skills have come from EnglishlingQ and his videos.
He’s always mantioned the importance thing is listening in learning languages.
But I’m always wondering if listening can help make my vocabrary skills or not.

I have not found listening to be an effective way to learn new words. I much prefer reading for learning vocabulary. I find listening to be very important, but for other reasons not related to learning words. I am sure other people will acquire words in ways that are different to me.

It is good that you post in English in the forum. I think if you get involved in lots of discussions here, you will very much improve your English.

2 Likes

ad CPJ (…) have not found listening to be an effective way to learn new words. I much prefer reading for learning vocabulary. I find listening to be very important, but for other reasons not related to learning words. (…)

This has been my experience as well. I remember words much better when I read and/or write them. Listening is good for comprehension and to learn to imitate an accent. It has never helped me to significantly increase my vocabulary though.

I would agree that reading, and in particular reading and LingQing, is my favourite way to learn vocabulary. if I have dedicated time available for language learning, I read. I sometimes read a book, or I read on LingQ at the computer and then later on read on my iPad in iLingQ. Listening has the advantage of being something you can do while doing other tasks, and it is very helpful for comprehension and pronunciation as has been state here.

1 Like

I picture learning vocabulary to be like standing next to a gigantic pile of words and trying to throw them into a little bucket that is 20 meters away. Using rote memorisation stuff, such as wordlists or Anki, is like picking one word at a time, taking a good aim, and trying to make an accurate throw directly into the bucket. You may be able to get a high fraction of the words you throw into the bucket, but since you are doing them one at a time, the whole process takes a long time. Learning vocabularly with LingQ is more like grabbing a big handful of words, closing my eyes, and just tossing them in the general direction of the bucket knowing that at least a few are likely to land in the right place.

I like your image Colin.

Writing or writing out the most important unknown words and some typical English phrases gave me a lot for my English spelling.
And the second noticeable point: we all have different kinds of memory. If we ‘learn with ears’, so ‘listening first of all’ can be very important for you; if you ‘learn with eyes’, like me, so reading is much more important for you; if you have a ‘mechanical memory’, writing is a very important thing for you because you start to remember during your writing.
One of my American students told me that he never learn the words specially, but it is enough for him to write this word 5-7 times, and he keeps it or the whole phrase in the mind for a long time.

2 Likes

@evgueny40 I agree with you!
@migitadesuyo @steve Off course, I do listening, reading… it’s only my opinion about just “Making Notes”.

I can’t say which way is the most important for learning language. I want to say all of them are important. Everybody has its own way. I think that well-balanced way and interesting way are the most important.
I’m currently reading English Grammar in English with taking the exam online. ( http://englishteststore.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=94&Itemid=53 ) In order to do that, I created grammar words flashcard in ipod touch flashcard app (like Anki). I open the word list. I’m using the list as a dictionary. It can be search specific word, sort by English, Japanese or other languages, listen to pronunciation. For me, this way is very interesting. And easy way to memorize words. (This way includes the Reading, Listening, Learning grammar)

Professional soccer player, Eiji Kawashima (he can speak 7 languages!) said in his book, when he find out unknown words, he write it down in notebook many times. He try to imagine his daily life as a lesson. He also said “Never stop and keep on talking” “Enjoy communication by involving all the people around you”

1 Like

I think taking lots of notes, writing out unknown words many times in a notebook, and reviewing these notebooks many times are great ways to learn, but only for people who will actually do it consistently. I don’t try to take notes or write out unknown words because if I did try, I would quickly lose interest in doing this and stop doing it. No matter how much I want to, I will never be able to consistently keep notebooks with words and grammar rules that I want to learn. Some people can do it, and I think that it is a great thing for such people to do.

@chamy7
I’ve watched the tv show which is about his method of language learning.
and I also understand as you said that lots of elements involved in language learning.
@evgueny40
I totally agree with you.
I don’t have a sence that my english skills are improving when I write down the words in the note.
I think making notes are just kind of preparation for learning a language.
For me,the imonport thing is ‘repetition’ of resources.primary reading.