"I know of no sure way of predicting where things will go from there,..." I need help. My question lies in "I know of no sure way of"

“I know of no sure way of predicting where things will go from there,…” I need help. My question lies in “I know of no sure way of”

I do not know a reliable method to predict…

“Sure” as an adjective can mean reliable or predictable.
“Way of” is method or procedure

1 Like

I know the surest way of predicting …
I know the sure way of predicting …
I know of the sure way of predicting …
I know a sure way of predicting …
I know of a sure way of predicting …
I know no sure way of predicting …
I know of no sure way of predicting …

Yutaka, the more common expression is “there’s no sure way…” as in “there’s no sure way of knowing…” or “there’s no sure way to predict…” If you want to find more examples of usage, just do a Twitter search for “no sure way”.

https://twitter.com/search?f=tweets&q="no%20sure%20way"&src=typd

1 Like

There seems to be no sure way to stop the company from launching a new system with a lot of defects. I suspect that they know nothing about the difference between the alpha test and the beta test.

“Typically, software goes through two stages of testing before it is considered finished. The first stage, called alpha testing, is often performed only by users within the organization developing the software. The second stage, called beta testing , generally involves a limited number of external users.”

Good example. Although in that case I would probably say “There doesn’t seem to be any way of stopping” [it], instead of using ‘no sure way.’

Looking back at the previous example, it is hyperbole to say that there is no sure way “that I know of” or “I know of” no sure way of predicting the future, namely human behavior, which is what Daniel Berrigan was talking about. Which is probably why you won’t often hear it expressed that way. Most people would just say, “There is no sure way of predicting/to predict [a future action or event].”

Thank you, @khardy!

@brucenator, you’re absolutely wright about Daniel Berrigan - it’s his. Chapeau!