I don't get the LingQ idea

20 LingQ limit for free accounts, but I paid for one month to see how it is. I liked it, so I paid for one year. I tried Babbel for over a year, memories, Duolingo and drops. Sadly, I have a lifetime subscription to Babbel, but maybe I go back when I learned a lot of vocabulary on Lingq.

1 Like

exactly! The time and effort you spend on learning a language (or anything else) is essential, it’s the most essential. Having the right tools, will help to spend more time on learning. I love the spaced repetition in LingQ and the daily alerts. It’s the first thing I go through when starting my session daily.
Good luck with your study!

webtoepub google chrome extension
thanks for the hint! I now put it on my computer already. It may become handy!

Listening mini stories is a bit difficult. I am not concentrating on the story when I walk. Or is it not necessary because the brain is still listening

Is it possible, is there a way, to have a sentence repeat continuously until you are satisfied that you are catching all the words? Regards and thanks.

Steve says his attention often drifts off— but then maybe drifts back on. But I do think it’s more effective if you do pay attention. If you tune out you can’t really learn though there is some marginal benefit I think.

Hey guys, we hear you about the 20 LingQs limit being very limited and maybe not giving you a decent opportunity to determine if LingQ Premium would be worth it. You can get 100 additional LingQs by either signing up with a referral code or getting a friend to sign up with your referral code. Please try that.

Hey Stewart, get your students to sign up with your referral link. They’ll get to start with 120 LingQs on the free plan. And you’ll earn referral revenue if they subscribe to Premium.

But how can you recommend the software to someone else, when you don’t even know if it’s worth it for yourself?

@James01 - Really, the purpose of LingQ isn’t to drill individual sentences until you get them. It’s more about letting the language wash over you while creating LingQs for new words. You can move on to new lessons or review old lessons. The Listening mode where you can read along as the audio plays is quite helpful in trying to get your brain to catch up with the audio initially. But, in general, you should just be plowing ahead rather than drilling sentences.Read lessons while creating LingQs, listen to those lessons in listening mode if you like, or on the playlist while doing other things, occasionally go back and re-read a lesson.
Over time, your brain will catch up and you will understand more and more and realize you now know many of the yellow words. It takes belief in the method and spending the time. Don’t sweat it. The results just happen. But, you’re better off to move on after a reasonable time rather than staying in the same lesson trying to nail it down.

1 Like

Absolutely! The free-trail is useless to the point of not actually having one. Especially since they have (or had, maybe they changed) that dumb feature set by default where turning the page auto-lingq’s everything. You pull up a lesson, turn a page, and bam, free trial over before you have any idea what’s going on. 1000 lingqs would be much more reasonable, if not more. Lingq is awesome (though quite buggy). Let people get a taste and get hooked. (and duolingo can **** ** *****, only as a last resort would I resort to it, such an inefficient use of time)

Thanks, Mark. You make lots of good points. I was wondering about the feature because I have found myself occasionally wanting to try to catch what is being said, to see if I can actually hear all the words being spoken (instead of having to back up the audio with my cursor). Regards.

Hey James. In the app you can kind of do that by clicking up on the scrolling text. I wish the website did it. If you’re on youtube, the Language Reactor chrome plugin can make this easier.

Also, this AI transcription site (free), https://revoldiv.com/, could accomplish the same thing (I wish LingQ did it EXACTLY like this).

Thanks, Stewart. Wow. You really have a good handle on this kind of thing! :slight_smile:

Makes sense. I recommend the 5s rewind buttons in the player to jump back. Especially doing this in Listening Mode. Or, in Sentence View simply leaving your cursor on the sentence audio button and continuing to click it while reading along. Not to mention the s keyboard shortcut to play the sentence audio.

I agree. I’m one of those who hit 20 LingQs before I even knew what a LingQ was! I couldn’t explore more as I has reached the limit, so I gave it up. I searched and searched for a reader like this, but nothing was available so I tried a subscription. I’ve been a subscriber for a year and a half, but I almost gave it up. Two friends of mine DID give it up when they hit the 20 limit and they have gone on to other apps. I think 1000 LingQs and 100 known words would be a FAR more valid test.
There is no way someone could use the service for long with a 1000/100 limit like that, but it would be enough to convince more to give a sub a try.

Is it possible to learn something from scratch with the free account?

Quite frankly, it is not. The free accounts are useless since you cannot engage in mass immersion, which is the idea behind this website. The people at Lingq dont seem interested in offering any kind of free trial, that can be actually used.

1 Like

I don’t mind the “free” limited level, though I run out of “links” in a few minutes. For me, the next step was only $13: a 1-month subscription to try all the features, then I stopped (with zero hassle). I started again later, when I wanted to use the LingQ features.

I don’t expect lingQ to teach me a language. Instead, it’s a bunch of useful language-learning tools: use them when they help you. Use other stuff too.

Using the mini-stories is odd. Most places you see foreign words and don’t know what ideas they express. Here you know the ideas, and study the foreign words to learn HOW they express those ideas in that language. Totally cool!

2 Likes

“listening mostly TTS content” is great compare with loads of methods. TTS for Greek is good.

1 Like