How to use audiobooks/e-texts in LingQ

I’m really not an expert in this area, having just started to import e-texts into LingQ for learning vocabulary, but I’m very pleased that LingQ has this facility. I thought maybe the book-lovers amongst us could put together a list of tips for doing this to help others.

1. The size limit on an imported item is 6 000 words. This is a lot and it is easy to lose your place, as LingQ currently has no bookmarking facility. I suggest you break your e-text down into smaller lessons (e.g. 1 000 words) and import each lesson as a separate item in one collection (name of collection = name of book).

2. You can’t share the book with other LingQ users (unless it is copyright-free). You have to keep it as “private”, i.e. for your personal use only.

3. If the content is not shared, you don’t have to upload the audio. This saves you a job, especially if you don’t have the audio.

4. If you are lucky or have thought hard about this you can get audiobooks which are word-for-word identical to your e-text. Listen to the audiobook, over and over again, on your mp3 player. Pick books you really enjoy and listen until you almost know them off by heart.

5. 1 000 word lessions are roughly equivalent to 7 minutes of audio. This is about right for intermediate 1 / 2 learners. If you are an advanced learner, you may be able to cope with up to 2 000 words or 15 minutes of audio. Since audiobooks are usually split into sections of between 5 and 15 minutes long, you may be able to split your lessons at the same points where your audio files split.

6. Books can easily be more than 30 000 words long. At 1 000 words per lesson this is a lot of lessons from each book. Unless you want to be studying “War and Peace” for the next 3 years, I suggest you stop after 5 chapters. Each author tends to repeat the same vocabulary and phrases, so I figure that after 5 chapters you learn fewer new words per lesson and get more bored.

Anyone have anything to add? Anyone have any different ideas?

I agree with almost anything: small pieces are better, and repeating the listening a lot is extremely beneficial. Indeed, word counts decrease after some chapters. But once I did a book almost entirely. At the beginning, there was around 25-30% of unknown words, and by the end this number dropped to 6, 7%. For me, this amount it is still worth studying, if you have the patience and interest, of course.

For Russian learners I suggest to use fanlab.ru site, as there is a book rating page, where you can sort books by active vocabulary, sentence length, % of nouns, verbs and so on. http://fantlab.ru/lprating/sz10/slen/page1 - I sorted books by active vocabulary and average sentence length. So, at the last pages there are books with smaller active vocabulary (and more appropriate to beginners and intermediate I). But, there is only science fiction, fantasy, etc.

What a fascinating looking site Rasana! I am puzzling over what it all means…

There is a great website which suggests books in English that you might like to read. I have fun playing with Whichbook | A new way of choosing what book to read next. It doesn’t tell you how complex the language is though…I shall have to do some searching on the net.

Does anyone have any websites to help you choose a book in other languages?

Although I am not a native speaker, I can communicate in Russian. We have been taught decent Russian back in Soviet times.

The latter post was not suppose to go there sorry.

That would be very sad if imports will be restricted to 1000 symbols. I can’t image how I will can continue to import “Oliver Twist” that way. I have plans to import many Katherine Mansfield stories here and share them with others. How I will do that if you will make the restrictions?

I am of the opinion also that a good story keeps you with the language not the other way round. There is no brainer go for the story if you know beforehand, that you will abandom it after chapter 5 or whatever.

I think it’s 100 000 symbols or thereabouts, I have been ignoring my own advice and importing some audiobooks today at 12 A4 pages at a time.

You don’t have to stop at 5 chapters, it’s just that lingQing is more time-intensive than listening to the audiobook, especially when you are (like me) working through “The Lord of the Rings” at 55% unknown words. I will listen to it all, but I don’t know about importing it all…maybe just my favourite chapters…

Oh, of course 1 000 words I’ve meant.