How to handle vocabulary

Do you only use ‘‘English/Frech/…LingQs of the day’’ or vocab page on LingQ.

Sometimes,I find vocab exercise so tedious.I know,it’s not the most fun part of this learning process.I like reading and listening parts more than vocab.

In other words,There are a lot of materials that you use as is or modify to suit your methods.

What is your favourite and efficient method for vocab exercise.
Many thanks!

I don’t know about others, but I can say about my preferences. While I lingq every word I don’t know, I’m aware that some of the words will be more useful than others, so I save them somewhere else as well. I always do Turkish LingQs of the Day (and it sometimes takes me 15-20 minutes, especially if I end up reviewing 200 lingqs…), but I often skip reviewing English LingQs and do them only if I have enough time and energy.

It turns out that in the end it’s reading that matters the most, because sometimes I encounter the same words over and over again and eventually I learn them, even if I’ve never consciously revised them. I don’t remember revising words like “gitmek” (go), “konuşmak” (speak), “buluşmak” (meet) etc., because I met them in every other text. I would say that if you find reviewing LingQs too tedious, don’t force yourself to do it and read more instead. Enjoying the process should be the most important factor.

Words changes their means.
And, as rules, every word have several means.
In my opinion better learn sentence, then single words.
By the way, then we learn a grammar rules, as single words connect together.

I do no special vocabulary practice (flashcards, etc.) I read, listen, and lingq. I change the status of my words as I read them.

Normally,I DO VOCAB exercise,but sometimes I just do not want to deal with.

I do my reading (+listening)which is more natural and more interesting way.I like history and literature, so I try to choose an interesting content from library or any articles that have caught my eyes recently,I import them, and CERTAINLY ENJOY DOING IT.

I just wonder,how do you deal with vocab and how much time do you spend to study for?

I hover over the words while reading and listening, Onze. Works well for me.

Just that lmy? İsn’t there any other vocab exercise seperately?

Nope.

I know Steve does just a little but not much. Others do it heavily.

Do whatever you prefer, Onze. :slight_smile:

I sometimes flick through my LingQs of the day, but I don’t worry too much about remembering them. Outside of LingQ, I have some SRS decks which I spend about 5-15 minutes a day on, but that’s it for my focused study and that’s all on Japanese characters, not actual words (although some are words on their own as well).

Most of what I learn is just from reading and not really paying much attention to remembering; I don’t really enjoy spending more than a couple of minutes focusing on this kind of thing, so I don’t. I find my subconscious much better at learning words than my conscious, except for short periods of time, so this seems more efficient for me.

@Lyise

‘‘Most of what I learn is just from reading and not really paying much attention to remembering; I don’t really enjoy spending more than a couple of minutes focusing on this kind of thing, so I don’t. I find my subconscious much better at learning words than my conscious, except for short periods of time, so this seems more efficient for me.’’

I like your way,but it may not work for less frequently used words .I also believe that most of what I learn is from reading and listening like you.

Every method works in a different way for each person.Considering my learning experiencies,I can also -flick through my LingQs of the day-sometimes, but not always!

@ozne I think you’re right about rarer words, but there are ways to make rare words more frequent, to an extent, e.g. if you wanted to know more computing terminology then listening and reading blogs/articles/podcasts on the subject might help, or if you wanted to pick up more descriptive words that are less general, reading some adult fiction would help (I mean adult as in aimed at the adult market rather than the 18+ market, just to clarify).

Although, like you said, every method works in a different way for each person; it’s important to find what both works for you and doesn’t bore you. I have a fairly low threshold for repetition it seems - I would rather read 3 different articles on the same subject than read the same article three times, although the latter may be more beneficial for more learning. Similarly, I would rather spend 15 minutes reading an article then spend 15 minutes going through vocab lists/SRS.

If a word is particularly rare, I’m not bothered if I forget it. Out of my reading (around 10 million words (LingQ only records some of this), there are certainly going to be at least several hundred words which I’ve only seen once. Those words can be safely forgotten. Those, I probably forget in English too, with no negative consequences. For those which I’ve seen maybe 100 times, I’m probably able to remember a few of them which stood out, or the context takes care of them. Not being able to output those words now is not a great concern because I’ve got thousands of other words which are far more common which need to become active.

@lmyirtseshem

As I progress in the language and am exposed to more content …There are a lot of old or rarely used words in every language that need to eliminate or ignore by learners.The problem is how can it be eliminate or safely forgotten:)This requires some kind of proficiency in the target language. The more we learn, the more we understand which ones will be kept or which ones will be ignored.

You’re right, we will understand it more as we are exposed to the language more. Of course, there’s nothing wrong with knowing and using obscure words other than in some situations they will be inappropriate.

I use LingQ to practice my reading and listening. I make links, because it takes almost no time, and I feel the high-lighting helps me. But I don’t review vocab. If I was using LingQ as the main source for my vocab, I would review. I find that just reading and listening alone is a very inefficient way for me to learn vocabulary. But then again, I just started here, so maybe LingQ is some sort of magic bullet that will finally make unreviewed words stick. I’ll let you know in a few months. But for now, I don’t expect miracles.

Nope, LingQ doesn’t pretend to be anything ‘magic’.

I think that it depends on what you mean by ‘review’. Do you read lists? Flashcards? SRS? I tend to call those things review. With LingQ, I don’t use the review tools here but just hover over words as I go through listening and reading. Certainly that’s review but not the typical type. I can review thousands of words per day and I never get the feeling of boredom which is common to most other review techniques.

So, It’s possible to do a lot of listening and reading while reviewing at the same time.

I prefer to review the words or LIngQs connected to a particular lesson. I will also review tagged lists or do random reviews of LingQs in the vocab section. I review my flash cards with the Term, Hint and Phrase all on the front and do not reverse the flash cards. This helps me to see the relationships between words. But I do al of this sporadically, not systematically.

I find that the yellow highlighted LingQs are what mostly helps me learn the new words. But then I listen and read a lot.