How to get Movies’ Subtitles on iOS (instructions)

This is a workaround I use for any movie subtitle on iPad Pro, regardless of LingQ extensions. It should work on any iOS device with the File folder, and of course any other computer actually.

1. FINDING THE SUBTITLES
    I’ve just figured out there are many websites out there that offer movies’ subtitles for free, and also TV series. You don’t even need to register.

YIFY subtitles
subscene
Open subtitles
…and many others.

Search the movie there, search for the language subtitles that you want, and download on your iPad.

For the TV series, sometimes there are the subtitles of an entire season in one file only, so you save time. Just download that file.

It will be an SRT format file. And it will be in a ZIP file. You don’t even need to open it.

It’ll go in the download folder, depending on the browser that you use.

1. CONVERTING FROM SRT TO TXT

On iPad, I can’t find a tool for this conversion but luckily there is this online free tool that do just that. (subtitletools)

Go to that page and upload directly the zip file you just downloaded from the subtitles websites.

Now download the txt version.

1. COPYING THE TXT

I use Goodreader (without subscription), I just click on the TXT file, edit and cmd+A for selecting all text.

If there is a complete TV series season, you might find yourself with many different TXT files, one for each episode.

1. IMPORTING TO LINGQ

Now you create a new import lesson and copy all the text. It will create probably a few parts of the same lesson.

DONE

You can import any movie or TV series now.

2 Likes