How to correct Japanese readings of vocabulary?

Sometimes the reading provided for Japanese vocabulary is wrong. Is there any way to correct it?

Here is an example. The reading shows こうどうちから but it should be こうどうりょく
Screen Shot 2024-02-02 at 18.24.14

Is there a place to report these so that LingQ’s system can be fixed?

Keith

1 Like

You cannot edit the readings in Japanese (or Pinyin in Chinese). These are auto-generated by LingQ’s software.
I suggest disabling auto-transliteration in the settings (there are two options).
If you’re using the web interface, you could look for a browser extension that provides a popup dictionary. This allows quickly checking a word’s meaning or reading by hovering over it.
Additionally, I’ve found it helpful to include the correct transliteration, which I copied from the dictionary, directly with the meaning for the word, this way I remain in control of the learning process and am not subject to the whims of an algorithm. In fact this is how everyone used to do it before LingQ introduced the “auto” feature, so there tend to be many pre-existing definitions in this format already, depending on the language.

3 Likes

They won’t fix it, they do absolutely nothing.

Use Yomichan or 10ten for example to get the right furigana. I personaly use 10ten, but you need to be on a computer, you cannot use it on mobile.

Another option, more painfull, is to enable the Jisho popup and to look onto it every time you don’t know the furigana.

Well, good luck on your journey. And take care of the translation given by this app for the japanese, it’s false too.

2 Likes

This one is really bad.
Screen Shot 2024-02-04 at 11.12.38

Thank you for your replies. I’m not looking to help myself. I posted this discussion because I want to help LingQ so that other users can benefit. LingQ relies a lot on users helping. For example, in the sentence view the audio timing is not always perfect. Sometimes it can get way off. Users can edit the sentence and fix the audio timings.

I thought there could be something similar where users could fix these mistakes in Japanese. If not, I at least hope that LingQ would consider developing that option.

What I don’t understand is why 10ten, etc do not have these problems but LingQ still does.

1 Like

言わんとしていることは良くわかります。私もストレスに感じています。
日本語は「日」という文字だけでもたくさんの読み方があります。だから読みが違うということがほぼ無い言語の方がこのアプリを開発しているのであれば、知ってる範囲だけで引用するしか無いと思います。
私は不満を投稿したら、消されてしまいました。
なので、このアプリのどの部分が自分に必要なのかを考えて、それが有効であれば続ける感じでしょうか。
私は最近レッスンをしていません。
このアプリの良さがわからなくなっているからです。

I understand what you’re trying to convey. I also feel stressed.
Even with just the character ‘日’, Japanese has many readings. So, if the developers of this app are from a language where the concept of different readings doesn’t exist, they would only be able to quote within their known range.
When I posted my dissatisfaction, it was deleted.
Therefore, I suppose it’s a matter of considering which part of this app is necessary for oneself, and if it proves effective, continuing with it.
I haven’t been taking lessons recently.
That’s because I no longer understand the benefits of this app.

2 Likes