How to become a tutor?

Hello,

I’m verry interesting in becoming a tutor on Lingq.com . I’m fluent in German, Spanish, English and have excelent writing skills in all those languages. My native language is Slovac.
Does anybody ou know how to become a tutor??

thank You, Dana

Hi Daniva, You can only become a tutor in your native language. As long as your native language is not available at LingQ you cannot become a tutor. I’m sorry.

By the way, what’s your experiences with the LingQ system? Do you like it? How did you get knowledge of LingQ?

oh :(, my native language is Slovac…so there is no way for me to be a tutor??

I just registered today, one of my family members asked me for help, because she didn’t know how to use this website. I’m not so familiar with it that I could say critic about it, but so far what I’ve seen i think that this is a very good program to earn skills, i really love the idea of skype, and the vocabulary, how its connected to the texts, thats very impressive. I think this is a great website ! :slight_smile:

Based just on what I have read on the forums, I think that LingQ may be introducing a way for anyone to tutor anyone else… perhaps with a minimal requirement of having saved 100 LingQs or something like that. Points, payment and compensation, will be required in order to formalise the tutoring… ie make people aware that they need to be professional about it.

That would be great if anyone could be a tutor, i think its not fair to put all those people into disadvantage just because their native language isn’t one of those offered by LingQ. On the other hand , Dooo, you’re right that people need to be professional about it. I’m interested in tutoring because a really love helping others and being in contact with people from other countries ( i lived in the USA, Spain and Germany for several years) and i believe thats a great possibility for me to keep in practice if i could be a tutor here.

This is an interesting question. We are interested in having a lively community of people helping each other and learning languages. We really should not limit the membership to people whose native language is offered here at LingQ. It is also true that sometimes a tutor can help someone with the same native language background.

Dana, I would ask that you wait a few weeks, when we will enable everyone to tutor. People can describe their backgrounds and language skills in their biographies, and then it will be up to each learner to decide whom they want to talk to in a discussion. Members will also be able to choose whom they want to correct their writing.

By the way, which languages do you want to tutor? Also, we may offer Slovak or Czech in the future. I am interested in Czech.

We have been delayed in introducing these changes because the programmer working on this seems to have gone missing. We may assign this to another programmer and at the latest within a month this new arrangement should be in place.

Will we be able to opt out of tutoring?

Sanne,

Yes of course. You need not put up any discussion times. As to the writing, I will ask Mark how this works, but no one will be compelled to do anything they do not want to do, for now. We may introduce conscription and forced labour at a later date.

The beatings will continue until morale improves.

「外発的報酬は内発的動機づけを減退させる」とするならば、……

読み始めた本の中にあった気になる言葉。「自分のすることに対する人間の興味は、報酬を与えられると一般に減退する。」という文がその後に続いている。
アルフィ・コーン(田中英史訳)『報酬主義をこえて』(叢書・ウニベルシタス704、法政大学出版局、2001年)104ページ。原題は、「Punished by Rewards: The Trouble with Gold Stars, Incentive Plans, A’s, Praise, and Other Bribes」。

古いジョークがあるという。「学校帰りに家の前を通りかかる悪童どもに毎日悪態をつかれていた老人」の話である(同書、105~106ページ)。子供たちは、悪態をつくことに報酬(最初は1ドル)を老人から受け取ったことから、それが金のためだと考えるようになり、報酬をわずか(1セント)しかもらえなくなったときには、悪態をつくことに興味を失ってしまいいなくなったということである。この話もよくわかる気がする。「サラリーマン」にとっては気になる話だ。

I know that this site is not an traditional language school. I am in seventh heaven here at LingQ.

I am wondering where this site is going. Is this site going to become a pure free market where we both sell and buy tutoring services? Is this site supposed to become a pure association where we help each other paying admission, or some kind of two-tiered system?

We don’t need another Livemocha.

Are we going to have “free tutors” and “pay tutors” at LingQ?
I am afraid that bad money drives out good, although I don’t think volunteers are less reliable.

All tutoring services will require the payment of points and will earn points for the tutors. Most tutors will use their points for other tutoring services, but we feel that having a points system will ensure that LingQ remains a more structured and more serious language learning community. Dare I say an elite community of serious people.

I agree with Yutaka that our strength is the quality of our membership. We do not think that will change. We need to increase the quality and step the degree of interaction amongst our members.

We are not LiveMocha.

First of all I think the decision is in the hands of Steve and Mark. They are the investors here at LingQ. I know they spend a lot of money to offer this website.

I agree that for beginners it could be helpful to get advice in their own language. But then it should be pointed out the tutor is not a native speaker. I remember that in the German forum a member wrote in German. He was telling that he is a teacher of German. His writing in German wasn’t on the level that I would expect of a teacher. I asked myself how people could learn German from a teacher who was on an intermediate level. This could work for absolute beginners but not for intermediate or advanced learners.

I think it is great to have more and new tutors at LingQ. But I’m concerned that there should be NO requirements. People may come to the conclusion that the tutor services couldn’t be professional and not worth the money.

The requirements shouldn’t be high. I totally agree. But I would expect that tutors are familiar with the LingQ system and that tutors are persuaded of the methods of LingQ. If this isn’t the case the tutor uses LingQ only as a way to earn money. I think there are enough places on the internet where people could do this. Also, I’m concerned that a few tutors could use LingQ to put learners away from LingQ to their own websites and services. Especially I’m concerned if tutors never used LingQ for their own studies and obviously only sign up for the purpose to become a tutor.

My impression is that Europeans are thinking that services couldn’t be worth the money if there are no requirements for those who offer the service. Especially people who are willing to pay money will take a look to whom they spend money. Maybe the culture in Canada and the US is a different one?

Are there plans for a judgement system for tutors?

As I said before the decision is in the hands of Steve and Mark. I’m concerned because I really love this website and the community.

I totally agree with Vera.

Vera is totally right of course, but it is also not so bad when a tutor, a native speaker, does good tutoring and “never use LingQ for their own studies”. What is wrong here?

I also agree totally with Vera! I never would study English with a non native speaker. I’m also fluent in Italian, because I’m living in Italy for about forty years now, but not being a native speaker, I’ll never had such an excessive self-evaluation to teach this language to others. Just at school I had English teachers who studied the language at the university with a compulsory stay abroad for a couple of years, but they never had approximately the same level as our English tutors here at LingQ. The intricacies of a language and especially the accent I can learn only from native speakers. To have excellent writing skills in those languages after two or three years is unbelievable for me.

By the way “excellent” is never written with only one “L”. Perhaps it was a typo, but as an excellent writer and future teacher in English I would take care of the spelling.

What is actually a native language? Is it always simply to define which language is native? There are a lot of people who have two, even three native languages. When children come to Germany with their 2, 5, 10, 12…so on- from which age do they have German as a native? It depends of many factors.