How much has LingQ helped you? Is it your main source?

Thanks! You, too!

I’m working on Korean now and LingQ is the best tool for reading at my level (upper beginner) hands down. I also use SRS flash cards heavily and watch k-dramas online. I don’t always have energy to read but I’m convinced reading is key to real progress so I would say LingQ is the most important tool for me. I’m sure other people thinking about dedicating their time to LingQ would like to hear from people who have reached their language goals thanks to LingQ and I’m not there yet. I think it’s going to take me several years. I wish they sold lifetime subscriptions.

If you are really keen to “learn” french you should choose the “story telling method”. Alice Ayel (here on LingQ and also on You Tube) is a wonderfull french storyteller.
First then start with small drawn stories in the "baby stage area"and, if all goes well, you might reach a pretty medium level after an year.
Every day you learn more and more words only by listening and reading.
Listening and reading is the key to success.
This method was explored in the eighties by the linguist Stephen Krashen and is known to most of the users of this “LingQ-app”. (may be 99 % ?)
You “acquire” the language without having to learn it in a boring way.
Just give it a try and good luck.
Greetings from Germany, bye for now.

At first I used Lingq for flash cards. I was so clueless about the real value of Lingq that I would open lessons and not read them, just check off the words I knew and made lingqs for the ones I didn’t. I would then review the Lingqs over and over again. Then I listened to Steve Kaufman and realized it’s the reading, not the flashcarding, that is what we need and I no longer use SRS to review, I just keep reading (in Lingq!) all the authors I’ve loved in translation or ones I want to read for the first time. As a result I’m C1. I have a weekly lesson with a teacher in Italy for my writing, speaking and listening and also lots of Italian movies and tv shows. I’m progressing nicely in my goal to be, if not fluent in Italian, at least “fluid” in it. And I, too, can’t understand why L:ingq isn’t better known and for me it’s an exceptionally good tool.

Ha, ha, ha. That’s great.
Fluency is such a lofty goal.
So, let s be “fluid”! :slight_smile:

Instant success is not granted right away :wink: you still have to force your mind to do things. Actually, all my foreign class mates can benefit from it, however, they have no clue at all about language acquisition and how language learning process should be started and pursued. The easy route for them is to enroll in an expensive school like Goethe or some other private schools in Germany and let them dictate their teaching methodology. LingQ is for those language learners who have no issues whatsoever with self-discipline and likes to do things independently day in and day out.

How long did it take you to reach C1 level in Italian?

Lingq itself is not a source at all. It is a tool you can use to help you with all kind of sources.
The content you work through using Lingq is the source.

This is a good way to describe LingQ in my opinion. For example, if someone were to ask me - What do you use to learn Japanese?

I could say LingQ, which is what I use…but, the actual resources are light novels, news articles, and YouTube videos…which have been imported into LingQ.

In my opinion, LingQ is a tool that allows you to learn a new language from content you love.

Is it your main tool?

There’s a lot of really sound advice here that you should follow up on, so I won’t add too much other than to say what has worked for me and is still working for me.

My Spanish is fluent and I can do far more than I ever thought possible in Spanish and just about everything I ever even dreamed of doing in the languge. Could I have done it without LingQ? Maybe, others certainly have. WOULD I have done it without LingQ? No way.

In order to learn a langauge, you need to know lots of words. LingQ is my “main tool” for doing that because it lets you do that by seeing the meanings of words quickly and in context, over and over again, and just learning them. You can use the library itself or import your own content.

Everything that I ever read in a digital format–news articles, Netfilx subtitles, websites–I dumped into LingQ. It has been a God send.