How LingQ helped you to improve with your language?

Hi everybody . I was just wondering how has LingQ helped you with your learnign process ? Can you see any progres since you have started learning with this method ?

I was learning with traditional method- lot of grammar and it didn’t help at all. Now I am trying to listen a lot and read. Because I don’t have much time I try to listen while I am going to work or during mu household chores. It is not so absorbing and you don’t have to sit in front of the computer all the time. For me the great thing is that I can highlight the unknown words and save it. I don’t have to search it in the dictionary .
I believe that one day I will be able to speak German without any problems.

Hi Jola,
I had no fun to learn English in my school time - grammar was horrible to learn.

If you want to know how my way to LingQ was, you can read in the German library “Mein Weg zu LingQ”. Here I have written what I did first and how it changed when I came to LingQ.

Listen to was the most important point on this way.

Have fun and bring questions if you have problems!

Irene

I am studying Russian at LingQ exactly 3 months now.
Before that I had done a one year begginer course at university. It gave me a good base but as you can imagine it was all about grammar and endings. The book we used Oxford’s “Take off in Russian” was also terrible. I didn’t expect a begginer’s book to have interesting stories but that was very bad taste kind of stories… After that I continued on my own during summers mostly. I had an intermediate book and I was writing all my unknown words in excel files. Soon I was bored and I started writing the explanations straight on the book until the pages became unreadable from the amount of notes! Overall before I come here my understanding was very poor and I could hardly speak.
After only 3 months I have had a dramatic improvement in understanding. I feel comfortable to go to Russian web sites, to read original texts and listening podcasts even without the transcript. I still can’t speak naturally, that will take time of course, but when I look back I can’t believe how quickly I reached this level. I spent a lot of time reading, listening and saving words, sometimes I it took one week to finish a lesson.
The amount of hours I spend every day varies from 1 to 3 and if I get very absorbed it can reach 6.
In general I am very enthusiastic with my studies here and satisfied with the results. My friends have start thinking that I m earning some profit for advertising LingQ :o) Unfortunately they are not very keen in learning some language so it’s hard to convince them to come around more often…
But anyway… I wish you all the best and have fun with learning German!!

Ktm - I really admire you that you are making such a fast progress with your Russian. You are putting a lot of effort in it so I am sure soon you will be able to speak without any problems . 1-3 hours is a lot . But intensity is very important and you are achiving your goals faster .You can learn 2 years or 12 years. It is up to you how much time you want to commit to your goals and if you are persitent enough to get what you want.

I think learning languages is the process. It is not like that you will learn language when you go to the courses and that’s all. Many people think it is enough to learn a language. You must put a lot of effort what you are doing and you will succed. I keep my finger crossed for all LingQ members. Hope our community will be growing bigger and bigger .

Concerning book for language learners- it is very difficult to get the right one. Usually there is only gramar, and soon you will become so bored with it. So far only the internet is the best resource of knowlege and real language. There are many interesting podcast , internent radio, articles. I really enjoy learning English and German with LingQ. Finally I can share my opinons and track my progres what really motivates me.

Hi Jola,
I agree with you - grammar is really boring, for me too. Some things are important to know i.e. what is an adjective and what an adverb or similar - but Ithink when I would invest more time in it, I would not improve my speaking and writing skills and that is, what I want to learn.

The goal for me is to be able to speak with others, to understand what is exactly meant. The most important point will be now, to learn more vocabulary :slight_smile:

I hope the same how you, that the community will be growing because in this way, when we are reading and writing here, the language will be better too.

Grammar is important, but it is only one part of correct or standard usage. Using the right word or phrase is at least as important. This takes time.

Yes Steve,
when I have the possibility to speak with natives I can recognize that I am better in the meantime, but at first in social conversations.

The problem for me often begins when the opinion depends exactly from single words or expressions.

With one word a sentence can have a possitive or negative view, not to identify through a negation or similar.

I don’t have negative learning experiences from language courses like some people here as my background and I like grammar. Concerning grammar I dislike reading grammar books, I rather prefer doing all kinds of excercises and extracting the grammar rules from them. Without a substantial knowledge of grammar I wouldn’t have been able to learn so many languages. It’s OK for me, if the lingQ website doesn’t offer grammar at an intermediate / advanced level, because I have other sources of reference. For Spanish it’s for example “ECOS” magazine with lots of excercises which I can read in my local library.

I’ve been using lingQ to learn Russian for just over a year now. Before that I had spent 2 years ploughing through a textbook on my own. The progress I have made is as follows:

I can now read a novel - slowly, carefully and with a dictionary.
I can hold a conversation - admittedly I mostly use the phrases “I don’t understand”, “please speak more slowly” and “how do you say it in Russian?”
I can write simple Russian with the help of a spell-checker.
I can understand Russians if they speak slowly and carefully and explain any new words.

I am now going through my saved vocabulary, which is rather a mixed bunch of words (which tends to happen if you use “Dracula” rather than a structured course for your source material). I am deleting a lot of rather useless words, and for the more important ones (three or four stars) adding tags and saving the dictionary forms of the words.

I wouldn’t say I’m fluent, but I can recognise which aspect and tense a verb is in when I encounter it, and also I can decline words if the spelling isn’t too tricky.

I’m now working on how prepositions work, and which ones you use in which types of phrases. This means that I have moved on from LingQing words that I didn’t know to LingQing phrases which demonstrate particular grammar rules.

Is that good progress for a year? I think it is. I did hope to be speaking fluently by now, but considering the amount of free time I have (or don’t have!) it’s better than I could realistically have expected.

Here’s to the next year with you all!