How do you use LingQ specifically?

Hi,
I am struggling with leveling up my TL English.
I was so fascinated by how easy it is to import content like YouTube videos into LingQ and count known words and unknown words.
However, I kind of get frustrated when I find that the YouTube videos I like can’t be imported because of the length or no closed captions.
I think it’s still worth a lot to use it for reading books but I wonder how others use LingQ.

Length is not a problem. There are many websites that offer ways to download Youtube videos to your computer (I use pastedownload.com), and you can split them into two or more parts using a video editor like Movavi. As long as you keep them private, it’s considered “fair use” for educational purposes so it shouldn’t be a problem.

As for closed captions, I’ve never run into this problem so far, but I assume there must be tools out there that can autogenerate captions for a video.

Pretty sure Youtube will auto-generate captions for you, although the quality of the captions is probably closely related to how clear the speakers are in the video. I’ve used auto-generated captions for Alexander Nevzorov in Russian and the quality of the transcription was ok. Some other folks on this forum have also mentioned (I think it’s called) Whisper AI or something like that which can do an even better job of transcribing a video for you.

I’m not sure about the video length, but sounds like the others offered some solutions.

For youtube with no captions, you can grab the audio using an online “youtube to mp3 converter”.

Is one I think I used before. Download the mp3 that this creates. Then you can import this into Lingq (go to lessons page and “import”->“audio transcribe”. This will take the audio and create a transcript. Warning, this works for some languages better than others so ymmv. If it doesn’t seem so great, you could also grab the autogenerated transcript from google and replace the text in the generated lesson (although I’d be surprised if google’s translation would be better).

One other warning about the audio transcribe (whisper)…it does take a bit of time for the lesson to generate so it may not be ready for a half hour to an hour so best to do all this before you are ready to work with this new lesson. You can also edit the lesson and add the link to the video if you like.

I use @roosterburton’s Youtube and Netlix extensions extensively. Using Lingq’s Whisper AI integration it can create a transcript for you and you can see the translation below if you wish. He has just added a Spotify integration which gives you instant transcripts and translations for songs.

Rooster has tuturials on his youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/@tyylinaina

3 Likes

Thank you for sharing your how you import YouTube videos into LingQ.
I’ll use the platform you mentioned.
Regarding closed caption, I found a website which can generate a file for captions.
It was good to know how others use LingQ.
Thank you very much.