How do you organize your Russian vocabulary?

Agreed! For Polish the vocab tracking feature is almost unusable for me. I guess the known words count gives some indication of progress but it would be very nice if there was a tool that integrated spacy grammatical analysis so that the lemmatized / dictionary form of the verb / noun / adjective was what was tracked rather than all the inflected forms of the nouns / verbs or adjectives.

Spacy could also automatically exclude proper names such as place names, people’s names etc from the vocab list.

Hello, I have over 100k words in Russian and am ranked #17 on the All-time leaderboards (known words, I don’t bother with streaks or lingqs).

I will tell you, I honestly almost never check the vocab list nor do the SRS practice. This may be different for beginners, because the lists are quite short and manageable. But if you use LingQ the way I do, it will quickly become untenable. My advice: Don’t worry about organizing it. Keep going and you will know what is dative and not virtually instantly. At least, I did by the time I hit ~20,000 words. Is it easy? No. You will suffer. But it’s not just doable, but is probably the only viable way of using this service heavily as is required to get the most out of it.

Looking at some other replies, it seems it’s not just me who feels that way, which is relieving in some ways.

As for:

For example, say you come across книги, but you already have an entry for книга, do you create a new entry for книги and specify it’s книга in genitive form?

There are already plenty of entries that’ll tell you that made by others. If you need it, I’d use it once, and then as you keep reading you will eventually not need it. Supplement LingQ with a grammar workbook or the “Comprehensive Russian Grammar” book.

Maybe controversial, but I only recommend Anki at two stages: early beginner and advanced. At early beginner period, they function as flashcards you just need to get through to start building those initial language connections. Later, they function to keep you aware of rare words in literature you may want to use but definitely won’t remember without prompting.

1 Like