How do you keep your motivation?

I thought YouTube provided auto generated captions?

1 Like

YouTube does but we can’t import those videos into LingQ.

1 Like

Don’t feel like you need use lingq with every video and also don’t feel like you need to understand everything. My own idea is that you always understand 100% of what you understand and it all moves you forward. Many times, especially with youtube content, big portion of unknown words aren’t necessary for the meaning and don’t move your skills forward. Like if you like science content you might run in to sentence “this solar cell has a silicon/perosvskite coating”. Silicon/perovskite in terms of language learning is completely useless and if you are interested in science you will pick up them eventually. Even if you understand other parts just about what they mean I would say you get the full linguistic benefit from the sentence.

A little bit of struggling will make your brain adjust and it might happen faster than you think. Big part of not understanding might be just accent or way one speaks or one might use some words more often that you are not used to. Short time ago I found a youtube channel in my field of interest. She is of german family living in Brazil close to the border with Urugauy, or has spend time close to it and in Urugauy as well as in other Spanish speaking countries. So she a strong accent influenced by Urugauyn Spanish, Portuguese and possibly German. When I first found the channel I was doubting she spoke Spanish because there was a mention of Brazil somewhere and the pitch of the speech sounded like Portuguese. When I watched more I did notice a can understand some of it, but first videos I did get mental strain and had to watch in smaller pieces. It didn’t take many videos to get used to the accent and otherwise it wasn’t that hard to understand. Certainly don’t understand everything still, but enough to keep on watching. One thing with videos which feel a little difficult at that moment is to have them occasionally. And instead of looking for videos you understand now you can save channels that maybe are a little too difficult right now, but are waiting for the time you can understand better. They can be as a target and also something you can watch every now and then even if you are not fully ready.

4 Likes
  • Don’t fixate on “progress.”

• Don’t treat the language as something that you’re only doing to learn it.

• Don’t imagine there’s a finish line where you’ve “completed the language.”

• Don’t constantly try to ‘measure’ your level (A1-C2 is impossible to accurately gauge, and it’s pretty much meaningless anyway).

• Don’t compare yourself to others.

• Don’t underestimate how long this actually takes.

• Do find something that you literally LOVE doing in the language (something that you’d do anyway, in your native language).

• Do a LOT of this, and I mean a looooooooooooooooooot of it.

• Do find content that is appropriate for you level, something you have good comprehension of but is still just enough above your current level to learn stuff from (many people get frustrated because the content is too hard for them).

• Do realise that you’re gonna need a LOT of faith and a LOT of patience.

6 Likes

I recommend 3 strategies. They work for me in Chinese:

1 - do a little bit every day as a minimum (for example, a half hour)
2 - find things that are fun (or at least not unpleasant) for you, and do them
3 - don’t get carried away and start doing 4 hours each day.

The goal is “in it for the long haul”. If you try to do too much, you get burned out, it stops feeling like fun. I think that’s why most people quit. Same thing with using methods you don’t like. You won’t last.

4 Likes

Another motivator for me, at least in the past has been Steve’s videos. He’s never sold language learning as a quick endeavor and mentions the good with the bad. They allowed me to reset expectations, and to hear him mention the same struggles as I would have really helped. Along with a motivational style he has to help keep pushing through the slow points, they’ve been inspirational. I just need to spend less time watching his and other polyglots videos and spend more time learning myself =)

5 Likes

Automate. Have a set listening time and listen to your playlist at that time. For example, if you commute, listen during your commute every day.

Also, accountability. Report your progress to someone regularly. (For some it would be their mom or, even better, a language-learning partner.) If someone else is also studying English, you can encourage one another.

Join a challenge. Seeing others working hard is a great motivator to do the same.

3 Likes

I think having a motivation is easy but staying motivated can be hard. If you want to stay motivated then you can adopt practices like try mixing things up in your learning routine. Watch movies or shows in English, or read books you’re interested in. Set small, achievable goals to keep it fun. Join online language communities where you can chat with people in English. Also, consider language apps for interactive learning. Find what works for you, and remember, progress is progress, no matter how small!

Keep it going!

2 Likes

I commented before, but this is a great question! I continue to benefit as I think about your question.

I observe that (1) the brain thrives on variety - it gets bored and (2) you must follow your interests. If you’re interested in one podcaster today, you may be bored with that native speaker tomorrow. So: find other content. Find another podcaster for a time. Find another subject in the target language. Find another way to study the material.

Follow your enthusiasm and introduce variety into your learning.

4 Likes

For me, any moment I can grab to hold it long or not , is the spark. The connection between this and my daily routine ( little exercise , little food , do not talk too much , read , observe , volunteer , work , commute , be polite , not too many extended hours every week , try to go to sleep at the same time as much as I can, laugh . Say a compliment to anyone at least once a day.

1 Like

I am sure he has a video that suggests not watching so many polyglot videos, and spend more time learning.

I admit I rather like videos on theories of second language acquisition and language evolution, as well as anything that demonstrates the stupidity of the Chomsky approach to linguistics.

2 Likes

You don’t have to watch in LingQ, the aim us to learn, not win LingQ points. Honestly I like LingQ, but the aim is to learn, even if points mean prizes.

I’ve just been watching an Astérix cartoon in French, and chuckling away. I did it in LingQ, but that’s irrelevant really. LingQ does of course have AI generated subtitles which are sometimes better. So was I working this evening, or having fun? Or both?

3 Likes

You don’t. Motivation is fleeting, temporal and cheap. It’s not something to be relied on. It’s nice if it’s there for you but it won’t always be.

There are three things you do need: discipline, a reason why and a plan of attack. Know why you’re learning the language and what you want to get out of it. Make a plan and plan to stick to it. Have the discipline to stick to said plan.

Now the question becomes, which one of those three are you lacking? You go from there.

5 Likes

You need to have belief in the process and the tools you are using. Any time doubts start to creep in I just remind myself to have faith in the process, that using LingQ and comprehensible input is the way to go. Watching Steve Kauffmann and Stephen Krashen videos on Youtube always helps to keep me movtivated too.

3 Likes