How do you keep your motivation to learn foreign languages?

You’re right. She’s fly. In the future, I will make sure to zoom and mute the video.

Think of another vessel, other than a glass: Fill, spill, but stretch; fill, spill, and stretch, again and again. Krashen says it makes you smarter. Eventually you will hold more.

Besides, more than half of Germans speak English well, and most Scandanavian people speak several languages well, and I don’t their all brainiacs. I can say for myself that between four years of high school Spanish and one college course, I was interested and “okay,” at Spanish, but I could not hold sustained coversations and I couldn’t work in the language. Several hundred hours later I could.

Besides, if you’re doing all this to assist in going forth to teach unto nations, you have that going for you motivation wise.

we share a similar opinion in this matter.

awesome!!!

I’ve watched almost all his videos. They’re really interesting. Have you ever watched Luca Lampiarello’s?

Yes, he knows his stuff. A very, very impressive and accomplished polyglot. I’m not a regular viewer, but when it pops up on YouTube as a suggested video, I usually watch it. His specific approach is different that Steve’s, but his philosophy is the same. Then again, pretty much all the polyglot learn the compelling input way, even Mr. Output, Benny Lewis.

Benny’s approach is suitable for those who are achievement-oriented. Who wouldn’t love to speak a L2 right away? I’ve read his book and it doesn’t provide more than what we already know: Lots of exposure, trial and error and having fun.

Correct. That was my point about him in particular: even he, who is touted as a having a different approach, has the same approach. Good summary of his book, btw.

Yeah, in countries like Finland, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Holland, South-Africa, etc, it’s absolutely routine for people to be at C1+ level in English as well as knowing their mother tongue. It can hardly be the case that there is something special about these people (or their brains!)

In fact, there are some parts of South America and Africa (so I’ve heard) where it is routine for people to speak three or four languages fluently.

Luca is great as a motivator , too. I would like Luca’s videos much more if he made most of them in Italian. As good as his American accent is, he would be more himself/ more interesting if he spoke in Italian.

hilarious :slight_smile:

Wow - that’s quite exceptional.

Assuming that this wasn’t some kind of Youtube stunt where everything was scripted and learnt, these guys are extremely impressive!

I got a less than stellar score on my language test with the military. After training is over, I’m going to Ukraine for a trip.

“…After training is over, I’m going to Ukraine for a trip…”

That’s great.

Is it your first overseas posting?

I wish! Just going to take some leave. We currently have the 173rd Airborne Brigade (paratroopers) over there training the Ukrainians. If I could get an assignment like that, that would be my dream!

That sounds awesome. I hope you can make this dream come true.

Thank you, mate. I’ll follow your advise.

I want to read modern latin american novelists in their original language. That’s my motivation nowadays. I am still incapable of reading novels in Spanish therefore I bought the Turkish translation of them. I dream of reading them in Spanish one day.

For English… It’s easy! I love the language and almost everything related to the Anglo-Saxon countries.

I have no tips however for me it’s all about finding something that I am interested in. If I find something interesting I can learn it. In the contrary case I fail. Thank Latin Americans (especially Mexicans) it’s always easy to find something interesting and popular on internet.