How do kids learn their first language?

@Evgueny

Children do learn their native languages through writing:

I would argue that I only speak English in the way that I do because I learned how to write it at school. If an adult language learner spoke their target language at the level of a pre-school child, or an absolutely uneducated adult, they would hardly be considered capable speakers of the language.

I’ve actually never met anyone who has never gone to school, as far as I know. I’d imagine they would have trouble communicating many abstract ideas.

@djvbass: I know people that are illiterate in one language but fully native in their other native language so they are eloquent in both. I also know some people that don’t have much schooling and make some mistakes when speaking their native language. But to fair, a lot of educated natives speakers make mistakes either knowingly or unconsciously.

To the OP, from the little that I know about this topic, the experts are pretty sure that adults and children process concepts differently and don’t learn in the same way. Children take a long time to speak, read, write, and understand well in their native language(s), but I sure as heck will take a native speaker over a second language learner, all things being equal!

@Caza
Well, I mean somebody who is monolingual and has never had any sort of education. I bet that in Spanish you can bring up certain ideas in such a fashion that may go over the heads of many native Spanish speakers.

I’d rather be a second language learner. In a conversation with native speakers, I can bring in a different point of view because I come from a different culture/language.

@djvbass: I’ve read articles saying that second-language speakers are more calm and rational when speaking their second language than in their native language because they have to think more or just plain think differently!

I would rather be 18 years old and have full native abilities in three major world languages because I wouldn’t have to work at it so much! :slight_smile:

And then if I wanted, I could learn more languages but always have the first few at a native level.

Let’s suppose that you belong to the category of people they are non-Urdu speaker and study the Urdu language. Mostly we know that there are two main stages of learning a foreign language. I first stage they are studying grammar and in 2nd stage they study about vocabulary development. At the first stage you gain the basic knowledge on grammar.

After that you improve your vocabulary. And people says that practice make a man perfect so practice is the most effective method to develop a vocabulary. When you communicate with the people who know Urdu very well then you learns new Urdu words and your vocabulary will increase. What to do if you can’t have practice on a regular basis? Simple and easy solution is this you download Learn Urdu for Kids app. When you install in your smart phone then no matter where you are at work, college or travelling it is helpful for you. By the help of Urdu iphone app you will always have an opportunity to repeat recently learned words. So it make the studying process is an interesting game.