HOW DO CHILDREN AND ADULTS LEARN LANGUAGES?

This topic arises from time to time in our forum.
I wrote the article about this theme in Russian, my friend Tim Coyle translated it into English.
And here is the link to the English version for everyone who is interested in this theme:

1 Like

Thanks Evgueny! Very interesting topic. I think the skill that children have for learning languages relies on their ability to create structures from their experience with different repeating patterns (vs. Chomsky’s innatist theory of language). Adults have also this ability, but it doesn’t work the same way. Anyway I think that listening is still the main way of acquiring a language, as in the childhood. Adults have some disadvantages, but also some advantages: they can speed up language learning by reading, the comprehension of the content, the comprehension of grammar, the ability to memorize a large vocabulary from very different subjects, etc.

Good work Evgueny :slight_smile:

I think that children are “good” at learning languages because they get an insane amount of exposure to their native language - I think it´s a little more than 8000 Hours a year…80,000 hours after ten years and 160,000 hours when they reach the age of 20.

Adults can learn a lot within a few hundred hours…

Interesting article Evgeny. I am going to study it in Russian.

And now you can read this article also in German.
Here is the link to the article-
WIE LERNEN KINDER UND WIE LERNEN ERWACHESENE DIE SPRACHE:

Ich danke Franz Stichlberger fĂĽr die Ăśbersetzung dieses Artikels! - I thank my friend Frany Stichlberger for the translation of this article.
You can express your opinions about the topic.
Good luck with your languages!

Evgueny, I have added this podcast to my German playlist “Sprachlernmethoden”.

Fasulye

Danke, Fasulye!