How could we promote LingQ better?

I understood from the most recent lecture by Prof A. (on Youtube) that this is more or less exactly his current research interest - but perhaps I am wrong about that? ;-{}

If it’s a new interest, it could explain why it doesn’t show up on his publication list. I’ll have another look at his YouTube channel.

As far as simplifying texts goes, I suspect that using a frequency list is the place to start. I have also been considering using readibility formulas and counting total numbers of unique words…

His publication list doesn’t really show his full range of interests, I don’t believe.

@Vera- I see that one of your posts has not been answered. It is very difficult for us to try and track activities that individuals are taking to promote LingQ. If you have specific questions, you can ask us and we will try to answer if we can. We do of course, track our larger referrers and if we did see a large source of traffic as a result of your activities we would certainly tell you. However, very often it is the little bits of traffic here and there that add up to something over time. If you are interested in tracking your activities, about the only way I can think of is to use your referral url when linking to LingQ and therefore track how many people register with you as their referrer.

One more point that Vera raised was how we would reward language sites that not only let us use their material, but also posted banners about us on their websites. In that regard, as well, I would imagine that they would simply earn the points based on their readers who click through these banners on their sites.

@Mark: I try not to provide simply a “Please click on my banner” Link which is nice, but sounds a bit like begging. Why should people click on the batch? I guess only a few people are doing this.
I usually write about interesting things for example new lessons on LingQ, and provide a link to the lesson. I wish that there would be the option including the referal into the lesson and collection link. That makes much more sense in my opinion and would be quite fair. Then I could see how many people use these links.

That’s an interesting suggestion Vera. I will see if anything simple can be done there to make this happen somehow.

@skyblueteapot:

Have you seen the latest Professor A’s video (I mean the one he published today)? I think it might be more interesting for you. Even I finally got interested in those frequency lists.

Yes I saw it and I have e-mailed him about it. I’ve done what he’s talking about, but it depends on the corpus (and of course the language) you are interested in. For a language TEACHER, that’s an acceptable method, but for a language LEARNER (and certainly for multilingual use) it’s not broad enough.

I’m also thinking about e-mailing the Professor who developed the software that Professor A uses, because it’s clearly not his own work.

I started using reddit a few weeks ago. Very addicting and a good place to talk up LingQ. In fact some are already talking about it there

Nice series of articles:

Thanks for the link, the author certainly writes well about language learning (and LingQ)!