Highlighted words in texts

The way the system works now is perfectly reasonable.
Unknown words saved in the database for personal studying (status<4) are highlighted, to make students pay attentions to them. That’s ok.
II wonder whether it would be possible to have an extra button to highlight all personal saved words in a text, with any attention to the status. That would let students notice also words that reached status=4=known, but sometimes still unsure. Besides, I think it would help very much increasing the active vocabulary, taken from the passive one.
Thanks.
Monica

Hi Monica,
I think it’s a very good idea I need to review in context all the saved words even those which seems to be already recorded in my brain. I think it’s very interesting for people who like me had ever knowledges in the learned language. But it will doesn’t work for people who begin without knowledge because quite every words would be unlighted.

Hi Cecile,
I’m happy my request has at least one fan!
You’re right about the beginners and that’s why I mainly asked for a further button, so that you can activate it if you like.
Let’s see if it is possible to have it.

In the Vocabulary section you can choose to see all of your words, only Status 4, or only Status 1,2 3 or whatever you want. I think that is the right place to review words by status.

You are suggesting that in the text itself we enable a filter that only highlights the words of a particular status. We do not have any plans to do this. I wonder how many other people would like this. I should say that this is the kind of refinement that we will not be implementing for a while. We have many other things that we have to do.

However, it is useful to have a wish list and it would be interesting to know how useful people would feel this to be.

Thanks.

Sorry Steve,
I haven’t explained my idea correctly, because of a problem of language.
My idea was to add one single button to let all saved words (status 1+2+3+4) to be highlighted.
I don’t either see any need to highlight words according to a filter, but I’d like to see highlighted all words I’ve saved, in order to notice some further use.
My pinpoint was supposed not to bother you but only for LingQ’s future implementing list.
I understand you must stitch on your plan, otherwise you can never finish the developing tasks.
Thanks

With filtering it would be more useful, especially if it would be possible to filter by tags. Perhaps, Russian learners would like to highlight in the text all saved word with tag “perfective_verb” and focus on using them.

hmmmmm very interesting ideas. What do others think?

By the way Rasana, I did not realize that Evgeni Malkin (Geno) was from Magnitogorsk. There was a feature article about him in today’s National Post. Apparently he still struggles with his English. ( Remember to remove the space in the link)

We should get him on LingQ!!!

Honestly, Evgeni still struggles with Russian too!
There is another player from Magnitogorsk - Nikolay Kulemin, in Toronto, but he did not play very well his first season in NHL, and in January even was in a farm team for 2 weeks… Anyway, of course Malkin is the biggest star of Magnitogorsk hockey school, and we are proud of him. Btw, next season, it seems our team “Metallurg” will not have any “guest” goalie – all our goalies will be from Magnitogosk, one of them already was the main goalie of our team for the half of this season, two others used to be goalies of junior and youth Russian team :)) And I like this idea, because I am more interested in bringing up new hockey stars, that in Gagarin’s cup.

Filtering by tags - yes! Also, a group edit of tags.

Example:

If you decide to spend a week focusing on separable verbs in German, here’s how you may want to do it:

1. identify list of separable prefixes you are interested in.

2. Pull out of your vocabulary list all words starting with those prefixes and ending -en. (Can do this now thanks to partial word search facility!)

3. Mass edit the tags to “verb sep prefix” (can’t do this at present, must do one at a time)

4. Go through lessons looking for all words with these tags (note a logical AND for tag searches would help a lot). For this you will want to see the status 4’s as well as the status 1 - 3’s. In fact, you particularly want the staus 4’s, as these will include the most commonly used verbs.

I think I made the comment some months ago that, as far as I could see, raising a word to status 4 is only half the story. You still want to learn to conjugate it and use it in the correct context. Status 5 you could say.

a logical AND for tag searches would help a lot
yes, yes, yes, yes!!!
as well as OR and NOT

And a search on null tags would help us to find the words that we still haven’t classified!

And thinking further ahead:

Once we have all our German separable verbs neatly tagged, the next useful step would be to be able to create a public LingQ list of these verbs. Then other German learners could open your public list, decide they could use it, and do a batch import (including, and this is important, the tag on each LingQ that identifies the verb as being separable).

Probably they will already have many of the words lingQed and learned (German separable verbs being fairly basic vocabulary), in which case all you would want LingQ to do is transfer over the new tags to your existing LingQs in the list.

That way it would be pretty painless to go from Basic 2 “I can’t understand all this grammar stuff” to intermediate 1 “So how do these separable verbs work then?”

Tradeable lists is one of those things we have to get to, as well as, batch tagging. Someday!

Well, the thing is SanneT, we argue backwards and forwards on LingQ about how much grammar you “should” learn. The thing is, some people like learning grammar, they like being able to classify words and decline nouns.

I see no reason why LingQ can’t be a brilliant way of keeping tabs, not just on the words you have learned, but what you have learned about them. A far better way than writing things down on paper. I have filled whole ringbinders with notes on French and German, I can’t lay my hands on those notes now and can’t remember what was in them! If I had put that time into LingQ instead, not only would I still have that knowledge, but I could be sharing it with other learners now.