Help with using lingq for chinese

@ Dillemme,
If LingQ in Chinese was to be like your second example, wouldn’t it be more simple to just forget about the number of known words and just look at the number of known characters?

In Chinese, know words is different with known characters, and mean know meaningful character combinations. It is not so simple for the system to count these words, but more simple to count known characters.

know words–>>known words

know meaningful character combinations->>known meaningful character combinations

To sigma_20xx
Meaningful words are limited in Chinese. It will not be extremely difficult to look at the number of known words as well as the number of known characters. Did I answer your question correctly?

It would probably be more simple to look at characters, but as Dillemme points out…known characters, and known words are not quite the same.

It is kind of hard to explain, but a character used in different contexts can be part of the same family, but have a much different meaning. for example, when you see the character for girl or woman (女) matched with other characters, it gives you a hint that the vocabulary word you are looking for has something to do with women

女= girl
兒 = child or son.
女兒 = daughter.
兒女 = children, (son and daughters)

你有多少兒女?= How many children (sons and daughters) to you have?
你有多少女兒?= How many daughters do you have?

Learning individual characters is obviously important…but even if you master the characters, you must then master the combinations:

女人 = woman; girl
女朋友 = girlfriend
女人味 = feminine
女孩 = girl; lass 國
女兒 = daughter 國
仙女 = fairy; female celestial
女性 = female sex
女色 = womanly charms
女皇 = empress

I think this “prooves” that words is still a better indication than isolated characters, and we just have to accept that the word-splitting tool doesn’t work 100% (neither does Wenlin, but that program does at least identify “real” words).

an update of my thoughts on the problem:

While it can sometimes be annoying, Lingq is still the best system for learning a language that I’ve found, so I’m gonna stick with it.