Have You Found that Your Known Words are Reappearing when You Import Texts?

@IT - We haven’t had any other reports of this – what happens if you mark these words as Known? Do they appear blue again in the lesson?

@ IT - do you also have the problems that I list below?

@ alex -

I have had this problem. I imported a text that I copied out of a pdf and then didn’t read it for a while. When I went to read it a couple of weeks ago, there were many known words highlighted blue that I had previously marked as known. One example is ‘für’, which is the 13th most frequency German word.

I also found that a load of other weird stuff was happening. For example, I was unable to LingQ most German words with umlauts in them (ä, ü, ö, ë). When I created the LingQ, the LingQ that I created was for the word, but the word was truncated after the umlaut, and the umlaut was converted into the corresponding non-umlaut letter (e.g. ü → u, ë–>e). For example, when I tried to LingQ ‘würde’, the LingQ that I created was actually for ‘wu’ (i.e. the term was ‘wu’, not the hint or the phrase). Having created this, the word ‘würde’ is highlighted yellow, but when I refresh, it is once again highlighted blue (which of course it shouldn’t be, since it is known). When I go to my vocabulary page ‘wu’ has been added as a LingQ.

This behavior was not only for words that were highlighted blue when they shouldn’t have been. It also happened for words that were highlighted blue that I had not yet come across. For example, ‘hübscher’ was highlighted blue in the text, and when I tried to LingQ it, the LingQ that I created had the term ‘hu’. When I created a new lesson with just the word ‘hübscher’ as the text, it was highlighted blue in that lesson too (so it was not on my list of known words) and I was able to LingQ it normally.

This behavior was not for every word with an umlaut in it. Some of them could be LingQed fine.

Another weird thing that happened with this lesson is that none of the user hints were available for blue words. Instead, I just got the Google Translate version of the words (it is important to note that for word wit the umlauts, this would be the Google Translate version of the full word, not the truncated word that I would get when I made the LingQ). However, when I selected a previously known word (i.e. one that was not marked at all), I was able to get the user hints for them.

I didn’t bother reporting this, as it was just for this one text, but maybe I should have. The text is called ‘Die Herren von Winterfell’ and is the freely available preview (i.e. the first 20 or so pages) to the German translation of Game of Thrones. I found the pdf online and copied and pasted it into LingQ. The text is still in the system, and I still have all the problems with it that I listed above.

1 Like

This happened to me once with swedish texts (umlaut words), but hasn’t happened lately. Copy the text to a text editor first helps.

1 Like

@IT, ColinPhilipJohnstone - Thanks for the additional info. It sounds like the encoding of these might be different and that might be causing the issue. As keke_eo suggests, when copying and pasting text from a PDF file it’s best to run it through a text editor first to standardize the text formatting.

Yes, I have noticed this as well, but I never payed serious attention to it. Very easy words reappear in blue when I import. It is always with words were I initially did not make a LingQ for, thus marked it as known.
I noticed it with importing text reports that very easy words were suddenly in blue (in Italian). So there is no problem of encoding here I might think.
Now I systematically Lingq all words.
I will pay attention in future to see whether I can spot some problems.
Silvia

This issue sounds very similar to an issue I brought up some time ago, at least before the 2.0 upgrade. This would happen to specific words and seemed to be independent of what lesson they were in. After creating a lingq for the word it would switch to yellow highlighting as it should but the next time you load the lesson it would be highlighted with blue. If you click “search dictionary” to create the lingq, you will see your old hint in the hint field and it retains its previous status (1-4). I still run into this on a regular basis but I seem to remember being told that while the issue was identified (some database issue), fixing it was a rather low priority.

@IT - If your issue is the same as mine I’m pretty sure the words are not double counted as known. I noticed that when I run into a word like this, my unknown word count doesn’t go down even after lingqing the word. I’m guessing that for whatever reason the status of the word is never getting updated to known after creating a lingq. That would also explain why it continually shows up as an unknown blue word.

1 Like
1 Like

@IT - None of these word tracking functions should be affected by your membership level or when you moved words to Known. There should be no need to reset your account. The same word will not be added to your Known words more than once. How frequently does this happen?

Thanks to pmilone’s screencast in his thread on the Support Forum that he linked to above (Known Lingq's Appear As Unknown When Selected - Language ...), we’ve now been able to reproduce the issue and will be sure to look into this to find out why this is happening.

I’ve seen pmilone’s issue before but that isn’t what I was describing or what I think IT was describing. I’ve noticed that highlighting of lingqs is very erratic when adding text to an imported lesson that you’ve already studied before. It’s something that I can avoid by creating a new lesson with the old and additional text so I’ve never been too concerned with it. The issue I described earlier impacts specific lingqs and seems independent of whatever lesson they are in. The same word is consistently not highlighted correctly through several lessons. The lingq is save and the 1-4 status is saved (I can look it up in my vocab) but the lesson page highlights and treats it as an unknown blue word.

@mark - As for frequency, its specific words so it depends on what I’m reading. I can go stretches without seeing a lingq like this but then I might get a few in one lesson. I can give you some example words this is happening for, even a screencast if you want. It just might take a little while before I can show you anything.

@IT, cgreen0038 - The additional issues here might be related, but we can’t be sure until we take a closer look. As we now have a better idea of what is happening in some cases, let us get this issue resolved and see if the others are fixed in the process.