Half of them were watching a small screen

I was in a train cabin several hours ago. There were eight people sitting on a long seat on the other side of the cabin. I checked what they were doing for some reason I cannot remember.
The result is as follows:
Three of them were just sitting without doing anything, or they might be wondering about something; one of them was reading a book. The rest four people were staring at a small display of a so-called ‘smartphone’. Nobody was reading a newspaper. I felt very strange watching this scene, although there was an iPad on my lap.

I was on a train several hours ago. There were eight people sitting on a long seat on the other side of the cabin. I checked out what they were doing.
This is what I observed:
Three of them were just sitting without doing anything, or they might have been wondering about something; one of them was reading a book. The remaining four people were staring at the small display of a so-called ‘smart phone’. Nobody was reading a newspaper. I felt very strange watching this scene, although there was an iPad on my lap.

(Edited)

I guess I belong to another group. When I travel by train I usually read on my eBook reader or I listen to an audiobook or some podcasts.

1 Like

Typical activities in train carriages in the UK would include:

two people talking very loudly about someone;
reading (newspaper, book or ebook);
doing Sudokus;
talking really loudly on a mobile;
playing a game on the phone;
using a notebook or iPad and/or listening to something which is generally audible to everyone around;
staring;
eating;
sleeping (snoring, drooling);
some children annoying their parents and the other passengers;
some children enchanting their parents and the other passengers.

Hardly anyone seems to be knitting anymore on the train to London.

2 Likes