Glossika Mass Sentences

@lovelanguages

I am still unable to find out the differences of the Glossika products, maybe I am just too dumb. GMS or GSR? Ebooks or printed books? Fluency pack - what does that all mean? My emails to Glossika are not answered.

What did you buy for learning Chinese?

@jreidy I know exactly what are your feelings about talking in one breath. You know, I read your sentence up there and I find myself in these words. I also am very anxious about reaching this level of fluency.

But, what I can say through my experience. I’ve been in contact with English for almost 10 years and I began to study it more seriously about 3 years ago. Moreover my native language is Portuguese, so English is not a distant language. Despite all that, just now I am able to speak English by one breath. And there are LOTS of situations in which I became lost and lose my “one-breath sentences” during the conversation or while I am trying to write something, like I am doing now. You know, what I am trying to say is: be patient and everything will work on one day or another.

This one-breath talking is something very interesting to acquire, but you can have pleasurable conversation making pauses to think what you want to say, like I do in Japanese with some friends. Make sure you will speak when you feel comfortable to and get in mind that it will not be a problem if you mix some English words into the conversation in Korean.

Good luck in your studies, dear. I hope you enjoy your studies in Korean and hope you become able to speak with your friends and have fun with them, even if it’d be not in one breath :wink:

Best wishes

I just listened to some of this free audio on iTunes for the Glossika Mandarin stuff. It’s like Pimsleur on steroids!

@ColinJohnstone. I hate Pimsleur audio with a passion. Don’t know why, just do. Because I thought I had to listen to the Korean Pimsleur audio I had purchased, I ended up avoiding listening to Korean. I finally gave myself permission to hate the Pimsleur audio even while I acknowledged that listening helped make some connections in my language learning. Now I am open to listening to other audio, such as the CD’s that come with my Korean textbooks.

On the other hand, I like the Glossika sentences. There is a difference between listening to the Mass Sentences (GMS), which say the sentence once in 4 minutes, and the Spaced Repetition (GSR) which repeat the sentences for the last 4 days for 15 minutes. I can see how you might compare the GSR to Pimsleur on steroids. Haha.

I quite like Pimsleur. It is also like some sort of sentence spaced repetition audio thing. But what I never liked about Pimsleur is how long we have to wait between the sentences. We have to spend so much time listening to the narrator talk in English and so little time listening to the good stuff. The Glossika audio I was listening to yesterday cuts out the superfluous pulp.

To finish the course in two months how’s the schedule? I want english