Getting back into the swing of things

As ashamed as I am to say it, I’ve been away from my language studies for a good two months now, partly because of Uni stuff and partly due to procrastination. I’m revising some pieces now on LingQ. I’m basically at an intermediate stage in French (at least in listening, though I haven’t spoken yet), and I think I’ve hit that plateau where I just need to keep feeding myself content and refining my knowledge of the language in general. I’m also trying to balance this with Swedish.

Anyone else here experience occasional lack of motivation? I think it’s a good idea to take a break every now and then, and I don’t find that my French has suffered really at all (which is nice).

I think losing motivation is the most important thing to overcome in language learning. Based upon the plethora of beginner learning material and lack of intermediate learning material in most bookstores, I think it would be fair to say that most people eventually give up at some point. I think the way to overcome this is to make language learning a part of your daily routine. Setting arbitrary goals for yourself and turning language learning into a job is a sure way to failure IMO. I think if you are burnt-out, you should definitely step back. When you return, however, you shouldn’t feel guilty about having had to step away. We all have things going on in our lives and the language will always be there when we return.