German B2 Examination

For several years I have been anticipating taking the B2 Examination. I have passed the B1 Examination several years ago. However, when I take the practice test I have real problems with the Cloze (fill in the blank) test and the audio. I have taken several courses in Germany with the Goethe Institute and have audit courses at a university. I am on the verge of giving up on taking the B2 Examination. I have no real need to pass the Exam. Any suggestions?

As this is the second time you post on this topic - the first time in Ask Your Tutor, I am going to repeat my previous comment here:

As you have identified comprehension under stress, ie listening and understanding of texts, as challenging, why don’t you practise these independently? It may rekindle your enthusiasm and then you can take the official test at a later date.

The importance of a certificate to the ‘owner’ decreases over the years :slight_smile:

Edited

What is the problem with the cloze tests? Presumably you have some text and a blank and you need to fill in the word. Do you understand the other words in the text?

With regards to listening, what is the problem? Do you hear the audio and simply not understand what is said?

“I have no real need to pass the Exam. Any suggestions?”
If you have no need to pass the exam, you will have no need to take the exam.
If I were you, I would read Alfred Adler’s books in German.

I remember my passing German B2 examination in the Goethe Institute 15 years ago.
It was important for me because after that I started to teach German for the Russian students.

It was not very difficult, but I remember it took two days and consisted of 4 parts:

1. 2-3 Texte zum Lesen (one of them was with the missing words)
  2. 2-3 Hörtexte (it was the most difficult part of the exam!)
  3. 2 Übungen zum Schreiben (ein Brief und ein Artikel über einen Film oder ein Buch)
  4. 2 Gespräche (jeder Gesprächspartner hatte seine eigene Meinung, wir mussten unsere Meinung verteidigen)

If you have some goals to use German in the future, it is worth to pass the exam.
If not, maybe not because it isn’t gratis.

1 Like

Yes, +SanneT, you’re right that importance does decrease. At about the time I finished university, I got interested in getting certificates. I passed:
a) Cambridge Proficiency Certificate (it would be a C2 in the current European Framework, which wasn’t in place at the time).
b) The equivalent of the C2 certificate at the Alliance Française, I can’t remember the official name right now.
c) Zentrale Mittelstufenprüfung (C1) from the Goethe Institut.

In the case of French and German I had also passed some lower level exams previously.

Well, I’ve never used any of those official certificates in my whole life and now (after moving a few times) I have absolutely no idea where they can be :slight_smile:

Having said that, +allen4450, if you find that the challenge to pass the exam motivates you, I’d follow SanneT’s advice and start working on the areas you feel you need more training and go for the exam when you feel ready. Just don’t take the actual certificate too seriously.