Generating an audio track for a document with French text

I just downloaded in French Steve’s How I Keep Learning at 77. The text result is fine (it’s in French), and I would like to generate an audio in French. I know Steve recorded the video in English, but can I generate a French audio track? I do not find Generate Audio button on the imported document, so how would I do this? Is there a keyboard shortcut?

As far as I’m aware you can’t generate an audio track for text. Either you upload an audio track separately, or you just use the text to speech in lesson mode.

yes, you can generate an audio track using TTS for an entire text lesson.

@Ted_Gilmore if you have the text in French and you are inside your French language, you should be able to generate the audio in French language. However, that lesson was created by LingQ, I suppose, so they had to provide the audio in French already. If the audio is not there it is because maybe there is a problem with it. That’s why you are not able to generate an audio with TTS. Maybe there is or there was the audio in French already but for some reason is not appearing.

Or maybe there is something else.

Did you import that lesson? If so, you should be able to generate lesson audio.

@Ted_Gilmore I actually thought you were referring to another course of Steve in French, this one: Login - LingQ

But as Zoran said, if you imported the text you should be able to generate the audio. This happens when you open/view the lesson, you should be able to see a text or button on the bottom left for generating the audio. You generate the audio independently for each lesson you open.

No, it does not work; there is no Generate Audio Button appearing in the document. I tried another one this evening that was actually French (not the English audio w/French subtitles like the one I had referenced from Steve). There was no conversion on this one and it even had a French audio on the YT video (which I know LingQ will no longer import). But when I opened it after importing it into LingQ, there was no Generate Audio Button either. So how does this Generate Audio work? Is it reading the target language of imported file? Is something else triggering it? And is there an alternate way (such as a keyboard shortcut) to turn the Generate Audio process on?
Thx

I assume you have imported the transcript in French right?
What device are you using to do this?

The screenshot below is how the button appears when you view the lesson in the Web App, from your computer. Remember, you have to view the lesson and not being in the edit version.

Google Chrome is the browser that use in all cases. Sometimes on a Mac, but usually on a Chromebook.
Steve’s video was in English, but I had used the option to generate the subtitles in French. This was in Youtube. I then imported it into LingQ. The resulting document was in French, but the Generate Lesson Audio did not appear.
The second document that I referred to was also a YouTube import and was all French. But the Generate Lesson Audio do not appear there either.
HOWEVER. I just went out to a Norwegian magazine, and used the LingQ Importer to create a LingQ document in Norwegian. AND THIS TIME IT DID INCLUDE THE GENERATE LESSON AUDIO.
Is LingQ suppressing this feature when the import is coming from YouTube? It looks like that is happening. Can you please investigate and let us know if this is true?
Thx

I’m just a user :slight_smile: But @zoran can investigate your issue further.

I’ll investigate this with our team and get back to you.

Any update with this Zoran?
Thanks, Ted

I’m going from memory here so I confess this could be all wrong but…

If you’ve imported from youtube, the audio already IS generated effectively, so I suspect that is why you can’t see anything like that. Of course, this is the English audio and you want a French audio.

Two options as I see it:

1. Instead of importing directly from youtube. From youtube, do “show transcript” (3 dot menu under the video). This will pop up the transcript. You can toggle the timestamps off if you like. Copy the transcript and import that directly at lingq (unfortunately with this method you have to entire the title and all that). Then, because it wasn’t imported from youtube, you should get the “generate audio” button.

2. Second option is more complicated…import from youtube as you’ve done. Edit lesson. On the left menu, you should see a section where the audio is represented (play button with beginning and end timestamps). You should see a trash can. Press that. That will delete the audio. Go to view lesson then print lesson (from 3 dot menu on upper right). Use something like Edge browser “read aloud” or immersive reader. Use audacity or some other tool to record the audio as mp3. Upload that audio (via “edit lesson”).

#1 is most straightforward of the two. #2 will have better audio than the lingq generated audio, but is a bit more complicated to set up. I did try deleting the audio and the youtube url, but it seems the video is permanently attached to the lesson and can’t really be deleted. This seems to prevent generating audio as well.

Edit: Related to #2…you could simply use Edge browser, go the “print lesson” mode on LingQ and have Edge browser “read aloud” in French. Your stats won’t go up automatically when listening or reading here together, but you can always manually update those. In that case you save the hastle of recording and uploading. Only issue here is this idea won’t work in the app.

1 Like

@Ted_Gilmore I checked this with our team and this is the case: when a lesson has a video it does not have the “generate audio” button. But the user can easily generate the TTS after removing the video in the lesson editor. The video can be added back later, so the lesson will have both TTS audio and video.

Option #1 does work, and it does turn on the Generate Audio Lesson process. The result is a serviceable audio track. Thanks Eric.

@ericb100 can Audacity do that? Recording Edge “read aloud” audio in mp3? I didn’t know that. Is it something easy to do? I’ve never learnt to use Audacity properly as I rarely use it. A part from today, that I’ve just used it to split the audio that was too long to import on LingQ!

I did try removing the video myself Zoran, and it still seemed to show up when “viewing the lesson”. As if it’s been permanently embedded. And I didn’t see the option to generate audio. Unless I did something wrong.

@davideroccato Indeed you can. You have to set it up correctly to do so though. Otherwise you’ll just end up with blank audio…

Under “Edit->Preferences”. Select “Devices”. In “Interface” section Host should be “Windows WASAPI” (If you are on windows…not sure about Mac, but you would need the Mac equivalent). Playback can be your speakers or headphones if you want to listen. The other key option is in the Recording section. “Device” needs to be Speakers (loopback). i.e. whatever your playback device is plus “loopback”.

Then if you are trying to record the audio of a lesson you have in LingQ. Easiest way I’ve found is to go to “print lesson” mode. Click record, and then start the reading aloud feature. Once it’s done, click stop recording. Then you “export as mp3” (under File menu). Then you can upload that to Lingq.

It is pretty easy once you’ve done it.

1 Like