French = Fun, German = Serious

First I should say, I’m not trying to offend anyone here. Im just curious how you LingQers perceive these languages. What comes to your mind when you think of these languages?
French for me seems like such a happy joyful Language, the wonderful Land of Paris and Quebec!
But German more stern, less smiles, Cold, snow, Less jokes.

I find my self always having this type of thinking towards these languages, and I feel its unfair to both. And its a generalization that isn’t true. I hate feeling this way towards these languages and working to change this type of mindset. Does anyone else struggle with this as well?

1 Like

Also, I have to remind myself that The difficultly of a Language does equate to the value of that language. Just because Language A is more difficult than language B, it doesn’t mean Language B is less valuable or less interesting, or people who learn language B aren’t as impressive. (Learning any Language to a high level is impressive to me)

1 Like

In terms of German I used to think of it as sort of distant, dependable but not that exiting like the romance languages.

As I have started to learn languages and learning about cultures close to home and further away. I have come view German as a sort of successful uncle/aunt that has moved to the continent and made a name of him/herself, while the other family members stayed closer to home but where also successful.

I also feel an inexplicable warm feeling that I can’t quite put my finger on when I interact with the German language. I love French and Italian because of the culture gravitas that comes with them (and travel destinations). But German feels that it is a inseparable part of me (like a family member).

5 Likes

I don’t struggle with these sort of things and I think that there is not really anything wrong to begin with. For example one of the negative you mention is snow. I think it depends on how you look at it.

I don’t really like snow when it is snowing here in Finland during winter but if I were to go to Vienna it would have to be in the winter for me. I could go in autumn or spring (my favorite months) but I associate Vienna with snow and German speaking folks. I also think of the film noir classic The Third Man set in post-war Vienna starting Orson Wells. I think it is super that languages brings up different emotions and have there specific characteristic (counting numbers, I can’t come up with other examples on the spot).

I guess you could turn these sort of things (less jokes more analytical, more pensive/serious than jovial) around on there head but I can’t really come up with examples and present them eloquently at the moment so, I’m going to leave it my saying that I don’t think there is anything wrong with the mindset that you describe, it is all a matter of perspective.

Also I think that speaking German is more fun than French because pronunciation has never been my strong suit :wink::grinning::grinning:.

2 Likes