Freeware software for cutting down long videos

Do you know any freeware software that help me to cut down long videos into smaller ones. For example, I would like to cut down a 100 MB video into 25 MB , actually four parts of 25 mb each.

Thanks.

This will mostly depend on the format of the video(s). What format are they in?

I know what type of program you’re looking for, but I don’t know if those can be had for free. If you’re on Windows, try Windows Movie Maker. If you’re on a Mac, try iMovie.

Try Edit videos & video settings - YouTube Help

You have to upload your video to youtube first

@alex: I took videos with my iphone4. They were in MOV format.

@doo: I need to cut down videos length since my internet connection is not super fast but decent. I will have to upload long videos in parts like 25 mb each. It is going to be a lot of time consuming if I have to upload them first. Each video length is like 100 mb, 200 mb etc

Try Avidemux

Homepage:

Avidemux wiki documentation
http://www.avidemux.org/admWiki/doku.php

Do all of you Know how to extract the audio from a video? Many times I can’t share a lesson here in LingQ because the audio is needed, and I have the video with the audio together, not the audio by itself.

In most cases, it’s possible to download the file (if you don’t have it already), open it in a video editing program, and export it as an mp3 or other audio format.

What OS are you using and where do the videos come from (i.e. what format are they?)

The cases I already had were videos from TED Talks whose audio was not available (the only lessons I had imported and not shared are cases of this problem).
But it can also happens for videos of YouTube (these present other problem: the lack of the text…). I would like to have more scientific stuff here in LingQ (not really “hard” scientific stuff, but things about neuroscience, language etc. that normally interest a lot of people); I have found very interesting videos from the San Diego University of California, and other places in YouTube, but there is not the text, and I don’t know if they are not copyrighted.
I also saw Scientif American cited in the list of providers, but isn’t their stuff copyrighted?
My OS is Windows 7, 64 bits. Thank you for helping.

Zinda, you can have them transcripe at rhinospike but it takes some time or a few days to get a complete transcript. Rhinopike.com has offer free transcirptions of youtube videos. I also like to listen to lectures from UC berkeley about various topics like human brain, depression, forensic science. etc

Thank you very much, asad100101! I will try it.

@Zinda: You need permission from the providers if you use their videos as lessons on LingQ. You have to ask the San Diego University of California, if you want to use their videos.
Are there really people on Rhinospike who transcribe videos for free? I cannot imagine to do this because I know how much work that is.

And you are right. Scientific American is copyrighted and should not be used on LingQ. If there is stuff from them, it should be removed. I couldn’t find them as a provider. Do you have a link to a lesson?

I know this, Vera. The problem is how to do it. And I know that Scientific American has some open issues, but this not necessarily means that those are not copyrighted. Scientific America is in the list of providers, that that appears at the side of all lessons. But when we clic there, the link leads us to the main site of the magazine, not specially to open issues.

@Zinda - Scientific American’s content can be used privately on LingQ, as can all other copyrighted content that you have access to, but it cannot be shared in the Library and be made available for other users.

The list of Resources on the Import page is merely a list of suggested websites where you can find content to import privately.

Thank you, Alex. It is dommage it is not allowded. Did LingQ asked for this? Maybe they woul allow… Or Science. Science has many open issues, and it is probable that they woud allow to copy at least those.

I’m not entirely sure where we stand with them regarding permissions, but I seem to remember them having refused. Has anyone else contacted them in the past to ask for permission?

Alex, it is difficult for people not pertanining to the administration of LingQ ask for permissions general enough to be useful not only for a specific text but, for ex., all the free issues of Science. I think this should be done “officially”, as it has been done with TED Talks. I don’t mean all the issues, only the ones they already put for free reading in their site.

Actually, the reason we have so much content on LingQ is because our members have helped out in not only creating lessons of their own but by asking other providers if they can share their content on LingQ. We can only do so much, and appreciate any efforts by members to contact providers and ask for permission.