Four Things I’ve Learned From My First Week Living in Taiwan

@Kongbu_Haja
How do the Taiwanese people feel about the current situation? Personally I would adjust my level of concern to match that of the locals.

For example if I went by the press coverage here in the U.S., I would never visit South Korea. The South Korean people, on the other hand, always appear must less concerned whenever North Korea makes threatening gestures.

Taiwan doesn’t have the nearly 30000 US troops based there as South Korea does. If NK were to attack SK it would trigger war a with the US, which isn’t in its interest. Taiwan is not widely recognized as an independent state and it falls under the “One China” policy, which most countries, including the US, abide by. The US won’t even officially say if it would defend Taiwan if it were invaded. So, South Korea and Taiwan are in two very different situations.

I was there in the previous century and really enjoyed the many hot springs. Many at Yang Ming Shan accessible by public bus. If they are still there, I recommend them.

Thanks very much :slight_smile:

LOL! Second on the garbage truck warning! It plays the same music as an ice cream truck, and when you scramble for coins and run outside at the sound, everyone looks at you like you’re “loco en la cabeza!” (crazy in the head) LOL!!!