Forgotten books

ad Paul: (…) A few weeks ago I had a chat with an old lady. At some point she asked me “Hat er denn ein Auto” and I answered “Keine Ahnung”… (…)

Ah, wonderful :slight_smile:

Und was hat er ihr dann geantwortet? Er wird sie doch wohl nicht im Ungewissen gelassen haben, wo sie ihn doch so nett gefragt hat? :wink:

ad Jay: (…) Hmm…that sounds suspiciously like “Jungfrau”…! (…)

Well, that’s what they expected them to be if they were not married. Times have changed…(and I’m glad they have).

Edit: Meine Eltern spazierten übrigens noch auf dem Trottoir und nicht auf dem Gehsteig (in Deutschland: Bürgersteig). Und zu Hause ging man auf den Abort und nicht aufs Klo :wink:

ad SanneT: (…) Übrigens gab es tatsächlich “Hitlerdeutsch” Lehrbücher auf Englisch. (…)

I did not even know that the term “Hitlerdeutsch” existed. Interesting…and disgusting at the same time.

I remember having downloaded a Russian phrasebook from the 40ies a year ago or so. What I did not know, however, was that it was to be used by German troops who had invaded Russia. The kind of language they used there was incredibly contemptuous.

Mostly imperative forms (which makes “sense” considering the way they treated people there) and harsh sounding questions (like you would use them in interrogations). Not once did the word “please” or “thank you” appear in that phrasebook…

After having read through it, I deleted the file. I could not get myself to read it again. I guess once was already one time too many.

@ Robert

The phrase ‘how do you do?’ as far as I know was just used as a greeting. I don’t think it required an answer. I only base this on what I have seen in really old movies since nobody uses it anymore.

@LoveL3 “Und was hat er ihr dann geantwortet?”

Er begriff erst ein paar Minuten nach Gesprächsende was los war.^^

“How do you do?” is still very useful in social and/or business situations for a certain age group (my guess, 50 upwards) to avoid being drawn into too close a contact. You can stand there, smiling politely, and say your howdies without having to shake hands… and not expecting anything else back in return as “how do you do?”. Simple and elegant!

@Sanne

It has (if I dare say so) a little bit to do with social class too. Here in Southern England, at least, there is a certain kind of polished young professional person who could well greet someone with “Ah, pleased to meet you, how d’you do?”

(I’m guessing this would be different in Scotland, though?)

“Sup?” is a common greeting in my social class.

Personally I dislike the notion of social class. (However nowadays it has to do with education and income rather than family background alone, I guess.)

In Scotland, a standard greeting would be ‘ya gettin chibbed’.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=7b8_1379436789

Sometimes I worry that I speak with this dialect: Mid-Atlantic accent - Wikipedia

Think Stewie Griffin