For some reasons related to sound recording, I cannot benefit well from the A1-A2 beginner lessons in German, would it be a good idea to use Assimil German Toil to reach strong A2 or B1?

For some reasons related to sound recording and my recent headsets, I cannot benefit well from the A1-A2 beginner lessons in the German library here, would it be a good idea to use Assimil German Toil to reach strong A2 or B1?

Thank you.

It would be better to figure out what’s wrong with your setting and technical equipment. We’ve had already a long discussion about this, where everyone else wrote that the sound is fine. So there must be something special at your side. It would be a pity, if you cannot use the great material here on LingQ.

Check your settings I am having no problem with German content on LingQ

How can I check them? Tell me and I will! These things seem overwhelming for me!

Is it possible the quality is good but you don’t like the voice or how the language sounds?
Can you provide the links to the good and the bad lessons?

It was a similar discussion. There was a link to a lesson (in Russian) with a low quality sound. The reason was the encoding, the lesson was long, so the provider dicided to make the mp3 file smaller choosing a smaller bit rate.
Let us try to find out the reason of your issue.

I don’t recommend trying to use Assimil to get to A2 or B1. Assimil is really good, but not as the basis of learning. The lessons in Assimil get way too difficult way too fast.

it depends on the language and the person assimil german is definitely a little fast for me because i know nothing of german beforehand but for the romance languages it’s easy if you know the basics of one you will know the basics of the others

I have used the Spanish version of Assimil (With Ease) version in the past, so I think I am at least somewhat qualified to comment on this. I think Assimil is a decent program, but over-hyped on the internet in general.

In terms of reaching A2, and especially a strong A2, this will be purely contingent on how intensively you use it. In my experience, my Spanish was probably like a weak A2 (overall) after finishing the course and I spent several months with it; about 30-60 minutes a day on average. However, I would say that my receptive skills were much better than my expressive skills, certainly enough to start reading basic native materials, which seems to be your goal.

At the end of the day, there is nothing magical about Assimil- it is just a bilingual graded reader with grammatical notes + audio. The materials made by the German tutors on this site may very well be just as good or even better. I wouldn’t know, I haven’t looked at them.

@Colin

Do you find? The rate of progression in Persian seems about spot on to me.

(Admittedly Persian grammar is relatively logical and straightforward, and I am a fairly seasoned veteran learner. But still…)

Yeah, I think it’s important to see Assimil as one tool, and not as a magic bullet.

Ideally, I would work right through Assimil, Linguaphone, and one other comparable course, before diving into more advanced content (including material on LingQ.)

For some languages it is alas the case that good beginner-to-intermediate resources are painfully thin on the ground. In the case of Persian, the English based resources all suck, frankly. I’m using Assimil - which only available in French for this language - and some German resources from Buske Verlag.

I am not sure. I base my opinion on the German and Russian books only, and on my own experience. I guess that is hardly a large amount of data.

Yeah, my next language (after I get a better at Spanish!) will be Indonesian, most of which I will study outside on Lingq. I studied this language in Secondary College & where I live is about a 5 hour flight from Jakarta (closer for Bali.) The Linguaphone course for Indonesian will be my first choice- they seem well put together in general imo, especially for many of the languages that Assimil does poorly or are not available in English, such as Arabic (poor) or Korean/Indonesian/Malay (not available.)
WRT Persian, maybe it’s best to get a toehold in it using textbooks, then spend a lot of time reading parallel texts, I dunno. I’ve met quite a few Persian speakers personally, but I am guessing you are learning Persian because you want to be able to read in it…
Anyone reading this, who actually speaks one of the languages I mentioned, can feel free to correct me :slight_smile:

I suppose it’s a general truth that we can make more progress more quickly in languages with fewer inflections. Conversely German, Russian and the like are much heavier going.

“…but I am guessing you are learning Persian because you want to be able to read in it…”

I want to be able to read it. But the motivation I have is more complex. I dunno, you could say languages are like women: most of them are attractive to a greater or lesser degree. But once or twice in a lifetime one comes along that just blows your mind. It’s like that with Farsi - everything is just ‘right’ somehow… (Of course that’s my personal subjective take. The next guy would want to ‘be’ with another language entirely…so to speak…)

@TamL

There are some decent resources in German too - in particular older editions published by Buske Verlag. As for Assimil, they are going to release a German version of their course at some point in the near future, I believe.

But as things stand, Assimil’s “Le Persan” is head and shoulders above anything that I’ve found in English.

The old 1960s edition of “Teach Yourself Modern Persian” is okay for grammar revision and clarification - but it has no audio. The modern edition of TY Persian is an utter disaster zone! Colloquial is quite poor too, in opinion. There are some okay-ish university textbooks published by Routledge that also have available audio - but they are not in the least designed for self-study.

It’s baffling that the language is so poorly resourced and little studied in the West. I can only imagine that many learners are deterred by the script; and I suppose there are political overtones too, since the 1970s. It’s a shame, because it is a magnificent language. (And Iran isn’t nearly as scary as our political leaders would have us believe. By comparison to many parts of the Islamic world, it is a relatively relaxed and tolerant place, in fact.)

Thank you Colin. I have been actually learning German for about 4 months, so do not worry I believe I am in a good place to get started with Assimil. I am not sure what is wrong with me not finding German resources good enough here, may be the sound is good but Mrs.Vera with all respect is a soft spoken person, may be, I am just saying.

I have been learning German for about 4 months on Lingq, so I am actually okay at reading, but not listening, I would say in listening I am a strong A1.

Yes, use Assimil. German with ease is awesome. Just repeat the lessons as many times as necessary until you understand. I like Assimil a lot but really, it doesn’t matter what program, method you use as long as you use it daily and you find it enjoyable.

“…Just repeat the lessons as many times as necessary until you understand…”

Agreed - I’ve found that repetition of comprehensible input is absolutely key. It’s somewhat analogous to working out with weights at a gym. A couple of sets alone aren’t going to cut it!

“…it doesn’t matter what program, method you use as long as you use it daily and you find it enjoyable…”

Here I think I would respectfully have to disagree. In my experience there are good courses, so-so courses, and then courses that suck. Something like Assimil or Linguaphone always gives me a couple of hours of audio which is carefully designed to cover all essential structures and to include 1500 to 2000 of the most high-frequency words. On the other hand, something like TY or Colloquial typically (in fairness, some are much better than others) give me only about half an hour of audio after all of the gaps and annoying English pitter-patter has been edited out. Moreover it is often the case that the content has a quite ‘phrasebooky’ feel - i.e. there is a lot of “Hi there my name is Mike. I’m 26 years old”, etc. But there’s not necessarily a very thorough coverage of essential grammar and/or a very wide vocabulary.

1 Like

I have experienced many methods and tools, from attending DLI (which people respect) to using Rosetta Stone (which many people don’t believe it to be a good use of their time). The end states were the same, at the end, I spoke the language regardless of the tool or method. My point is that the tool or methods is not that important as long as the person is consistent and is enjoying the process of learning a language. What I think is important is actually speaking to people but only when ready and I found that stress and anxiety is the enemy:).