Flash Card System Upgrade

Of course. Everything is :stuck_out_tongue:

Actually “Zen and the Art of (doing something)” is a set phrase in written English to describe a prescribed method of doing something that requires reticence as much as action. It is based on the title of an extremely popular novel published in the 70’s called “Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance”. Actually a very good read if you have the time.

I associate Zen with meditation. Thank you for your reply.

You are welcome.

Re Zen and language learning here is a quote from a Zen master.

After you have practiced for a while, you will realize that it is not possible to make rapid, extraordinary progress. Even though you try very hard, the progress you make is always little by little. It is not like going out in a shower in which you know when you get wet. In a fog, you do not know you are getting wet. But as you keep walking, you get wet little by little. If your mind has ideas of progress, you may say, “Oh, this pace is terrible!” But actually, it is not. When you get wet in a fog, it is very difficult to dry yourself. So there is no need to worry about progress. It is like studying a foreign language. You cannot do it all of a sudden, but by repeating it over and over, you will master it.

-Shunryu Suzuki

NeverDie,

Your enthusiasm is great. Changing our Flash Card system is not high on our priority list. When we do make changes they will be along the lines of adding audio and other improvements. I see no benefit in making it possible to review all the flash cards at once. You can look at 100 at a time, which is a lot. You can do one page after another. Once you have been at LingQ for a while, if you do it properly you will have thousands of LingQs. You will only be able to review your LingQs on a random basis, or ,for specific purposes, (LingQs related to a particular lesson, tagged lists, lists of words containing certain components, by importance, alphabetically).

We will also enable the exporting of LingQ lists to other systems like Anki in the future.

I recommend you create a lot of LingQs so that you have more yellow highlighted links in your texts, an a larger group of LingQs to review in various ways. I also recommend you spend most of your time listening and reading if you want to improve.

Even water can bring down a mountain. :slight_smile:

It does not struggle, is does not complain.
However, it’s humble nature makes it the master of the elements.

Water is to the world, as patience is to mind.

Absolutely right YLearner :slight_smile:

@ doo: Thank you for reminding me of the book. I’ve still got it somewhere in the garage. Reading it again will be very poignant, knowing what will happen to the son all those years later.