Feature request - Split vocabulary list into word lists by lessons

Hi,
Could you please give the option to let users create vocabulary word lists and learn from them based on the lessons they came from. I use LingQ to read books and watching TV episodes. I have plenty of book chapters and TV episode transcripts to learn from. And with each book chapter and TV episode, there are pretty many new words and phrases. I wanted to save them into lists and learn in close relationship with the book chapters they come from. The current vocabulary setting gives us a bunch of words in a mess. The current word reviewing function works not very well for me. The words should be in a topical context relationship with where they are obtained from but the current features not help me. Someone please improve the app and split the vocabulary into groups and sections based on the lessons they’re taken from.
Cambridge Dictionary Plus for Android has this good feature, regardless of their poor dictionary. I have created several word lists based on the episodes I watched on that app but their poor dictionary content has left many words out, so it didn’t suit me.
I have attached here a screenshot of my Cambridge Dictionary word list in the hope giving you some ideas.
Please help me. Thank you for a very good app.

Cambridge Dictionary Plus for Android word list feature.

1 Like

That’s actually already possible. Under the Filters on the Vocabulary page, you can filter by lesson and list only LingQs created in specific lessons.

1 Like

I was looking at that recently Zoran and I’m not sure it works particularly well in its current state. I think it used to be better? Like I think you could filter by course and then lesson? Just filtering by lesson looks pretty random. Plus when you import e-books every chapter will be named “Part (1)…2, 3, 4” etc. The lesson drop down box here is very small too. Could course be added as well, so that the lessons could be narrowed?

You can also go into the lesson. At the bottom right of each lesson is a “flash cards” symbol that has all the vocabulary of that specific lesson. You can review the vocabulary, review those due for SRS, or those specifically on the page you’re on.

This is available in the app and on the web. On the web it looks like this (see red box below):

1 Like

@ericb100 Correct, but due to issues we had with that option, we had to temporary remove filtering by course option from the Vocabulary. It’s now available on the app version only.
We do have in plans to add back that option, but not sure exactly when it will happen.

1 Like

I have tested the reviewing feature by using the “flash cards” symbol button under the lessons. But the problem is the words on these vocabulary lists are sorted in alphabet order. Could you give the option to sort them by the logical order the words were added to the list by users when they read texts on LingQ.
And the “sort by the creation date” option on the vocabulary page. I have test it but it has problem. The words sorted by creation date appear in descending order where the latest word added appears first on top of the list. That is not the logical order we added the words to the vocabulary page when we read a news article or book chapter. I need to review the words in close relationship with the content of the texts I obtained the words from and the sorting option didn’t help me. Could you update the app and give the option to sort the words in the vocabulary page by date added but in an ascending order where the oldest words appear first on top of the page. That is the logical order we added the words to our vocabulary page.
I have another question about the different definitions of a word added to the vocabulary page. When we review the vocabulary, do these different definitions of the same word, the same spelling I mean, counted as different words and get review different times or all the definitions added to a word get counted as one unique item only and get reviewed by just one time, only.
And the contextual phrases appear on the flash cards when we review the words, how did they get collected and assigned. Were different definitions of the same spelling word have different versions of these phrases or they’re just the same for all?
And SRS, what does it stand for, by the way.
Thank you for your time.

I personally would suggest something for you that I do. For “review” just go through the lesson until you find a yellow word. Read it in its sentence and try to guess it. Read the surrounding sentences if necessary. If you don’t guess it, look up the definition by clicking on it. Then find the next yellow word and do the same thing. To me, this is the best way to review the words since you are using context, and can refer to the surrounding sentences if more clarity needed. (Sometimes just the single sentence doesn’t give much clue what is going on). You are also doing this in order. There is also the option, if you click the symbol, to do just to review words on the page, but that does seem in random order for whatever reason. That’s why I’d go with my suggestion just to jump from yellow word to yellow word.

On your other questions…the context is taken from the sentence where that word was contained when YOU added a LingQ. So the contextual sentence is different for everyone.

SRS = Spaced Repetition System.

That is what Anki, Memrise, or Lingq’s review system is using. You go through some amount of flash cards. Either the system makes a determination or you specify (Anki, for example) how well you know a word. Then the system may not show you that word for a while if you know it quite well, but it will show it more frequently in the beginning, when you are first introduced to the word, or if you indicate you don’t know it well. The idea being that you need to see a word frequently when you are first introduced to it, but as you become more familiar with it, you don’t need to review it for awhile. For example if I say I know a certain word well, it may not come up for review for 7 days.

The main problem with SRS is that you will quickly accumulate a very large number of words, and if you take time off you will have a pile of words that you need to review. It comes to a point where all your time is spent reviewing words. There are ways to resolve this, but in my personal view, SRS becomes unhelpful beyond the beginning levels. Unless you have a small defined set of vocabulary you may need to learn for some reason. Or you want to take small sets of vocabulary and focus on them. Or you can simply set a time limit that you would do SRS…like maybe 10 minutes a day. Or simply not do SRS at all as many of us do.

1 Like

Got it.