Fake online identities to spread pro-American propaganda

I found an interesting link from the Guardian (UK)

“Military’s ‘sock puppet’ software creates fake online identities to spread pro-American propaganda”

"CENTCOM confirmed that the $2.76m contract was awarded to Ntrepid, a newly formed corporation registered in Los Angeles. It would not disclose whether the multiple persona project is already in operation or discuss any related contracts.

Nobody was available for comment at Ntrepid."

Confess! :slight_smile:

USA USA!! kill the infidels! Spread Democracy!

It’s an interesting link and an extremely controversial topic, IMO. Thank you Dooo.

Wars are part of the past and present, and may be of the future, unfortunately. I am, perhaps, not against of a sophisticated cyber-propaganda and a cyber ‘war’. ( There are lots of reservations I have to make regarding such the statement, but I omit them for the sake of brevity for now).

1. If one has to wage wars anyway, propaganda in the cyber space is less destructive then wars with weapon. Propaganda, unlike the weapon, does not kill people. It does ruin the planet Earth. (Bortrun once mentioned about being ‘dead scarry of the global warming’ (quoting by memory). I’d be much more scary of a global/big modern weaponry war)

2. The Doo’s link is about propaganda to be waged against the anti- western and anti-US propaganda. It is about the propaganda to be spread in cyberspace of the areas like Afganistan, Iran, the Middle East and the Arab World. It is to be waged in the local languages, where the population, in a large extent, has been leaving under the local anti-western propaganda and in the close conditions. Their cyberspace that is increasingly influenced by the terrorist propaganda. There are definitions, let even ambiguous, what constitutes a terrorist propaganda and what does not. The anti-western and the anti-US terrorist propaganda instigates to kill on the basis of where people belong to. The propaganda that may promise a paradise and 100 virgins after a shahid’s death.

The Doo’s link says, among other things, about questioning the premis about the paradise and 100 virgins after the shahid’s dearh, speaking in the language of the influenced people AND using the fake identities in the blog sphere, for the effectiveness. What a treacherous US!

1. @yurithebest. American propaganda seems to me the second among your most beloved themes Yura :slight_smile: . However, you just can’t compare it with the propaganda which was, and IMO in a lesser extent remains, a characteristic brain-washing feature in our former common country . I however do not want to switch focus to the Soviet Union, Russia and Ukrain now.

. It [propaganda as such] does ruin the planet Earth => does NOT

The thing that bothers me is:
‘it would be unlawful to “address US audiences” with such technology’

But fine to use it on them dirty foreigners. At least they weren’t that hypocritical in the Soviet Union.

Although the US’s internal propaganda machine seems to be working as well as ever these days.

Seems like normal intelligence and propaganda activity, but just taking advantage of modern technology. We should get some of these to spread the word about LingQ.

As to the success of the US internal propaganda machine are you referring to the Obama camp, of the Republican camp?

@ roan’s: “At least they weren’t that hypocritical in the Soviet Union”
@ Steve: “We should get some of these to spread the word about LingQ.”

The LingQ administartors have been posting under fake user names since long, about what they now and then confessed. At least they weren’t that hypocritical at LingQ;-)

@ roan. Perhaps you are right, roan, most of them were less hypocritical in the Soviet Union. Most of them were brain-washed themselves and believed in their propaganda. It seems to me an underplay to characterise their sins and crimes as hypocrisy, in the Soviet Union.

Both, actually. Despite the notion of free speech, there is a curious degree of indoctrinated nationalism that is somehow beyond reproach. Things like: the pledge of allegiance, the concept of something being ‘un-American’, the myth of the founding fathers, etc. Is there such a thing as ‘un-Canadian’, or similar? The only references to being ‘un-British’ are in reference to the threat of banning the burka in the UK being ‘un-British’. Certainly criticism of the military wouldn’t be so.

I agree that the article is referring to just everyday intelligence and propaganda, though. It’s been going on for years.

LingQ does need to step up its propaganda machine though. I was looking for something like this for ages, and only found it when a friend sent a You Tube link that linked to one of your videos.

Also, my remark about the the Soviet Union was rather facetious.

Having lived in a few countries, and read in many languages, I can assure you. roan, that there is no country without its self-flattering myths, which send goose bumps of patriotism up the backs of some, and cause others of their countrymen, to cringe and foreigners to scoff or get indignant.

Such as “God Bless America, the greatest force for good in the world,” which I heard at the Democratic or was it the Republican convention. This has its equivalent in Canada (oh we are so polite and un-patriotic), just watch our flag waving and how we behave on the ice in a hockey game. Same for France, Japan and so on. But not all locals buy the hype, but a lot do, and the politicians cater to it.

I know you’re right. Every country is guilty of it. I’ve read a few books about Japanese by respected linguists that claim it’s got some poetic qualities that demonstrate a unique Japanese relationship with nature. (Which is presumably why all rivers have to be concreted over in the ugliest way possible.)

I think that the US patriotism, with the ‘greatest force of good’ hyperbole, jars more because it belittles other nations so publicly. Flag waving at a hockey match isn’t quite the same.

The prerogative of the powerful.

Aw hell, it looks like you guys have outed me…

Okay, so I’m a CIA sock puppet. LOL :smiley:

I prefer to use it. A while back I was giving a speech in class about Japanese education, and my ending/conclusion that it was too complicated and we should be lucky to live in ukraine, glory to ukraine! - that got a lot of applause

(btw in ukrainian “glory to ukraine” (cлава україні)) is not my invention and dates back a long time just in case you were wondering)

My point is, we could sit and complain about how the masses react to certain things, but I think it’s more beneficial to use those strings for personal benefit.