"export displayed list" should be "export entire list in language X"

When exporting it says 'export displayed list". I assume that means the list of 100 vocab that is on my screen, but it seems to export the entire database, in my case 2400 LingQs.

It will export the complete list based on the settings you indicate on the Vocabulary page. You can reduce the number of LingQs by choosing specific status levels, lessons, etc…

I like that it exports the entire database. I can export it once a month and Anki can tell and import just the new vocabulary.

Just curious, what extra feature does ANKI give you?

Anki is superior if you like the “endless” spaced repetition. Every item (word/phrase) will be shown, forever, unlike here where a word eventually reaches level 4 and then doesn’t appear anymore.

OK, maybe you don’t want/need to review the word for “monkey wrench” in 4 years from now, and by then, you have probably advanced to real literature (and thus, get enough review just by reading)… It’s my feeling though, that words here move to level 4 too quickly…“Hey, now I KNOW this word and won’t ever have to review it again”. By doing the daily Anki repetitions, I’m sure that the word I saved (and found useful) a year ago (but haven’t yet seen in another text) will show up again and again.

Thanks, Jeff

Other features are shared decks (wordlists) and plugins (pinyin conversion, statistics, graphs, level assessment according to profiency tests…)

How many of you are using the import/export list feature? How many would use it but do not understand how to use it?

I haven’t yet tried it, but shall at least give it a go one of these days. As I am not the world’s most studious learner, I am unlikely to use the feature regularly.

Since I am doing things in 4 languages, I find it great to limit the daily LingQs to 25. Less is more! That is about all I have time for, but I do enjoy doing it, and am more inclined to do if the list is short.

I just had a go at exporting my German words (the entire list, no filtering), and every umlaut (including the letter next to it) came out as something else, e.g. ausgelöst, Schächtele, rüberkommt, würdet, drüber, reinhören, schämen…

Has anyone else experienced this? I can figure out what the the strange combinations mean, but if it works like this for German, what will the result be for Russian?

I tried it for Russian. It seemed that Excel couldn’t cope with the character encoding (there must be some setting I can tweak but I haven’t had time to play with it). Word for Windows could cope with the character encoding but I had to mess about to display the table tidily.

It’s a great new feature…I just haven’t figured out what to do with it yet!

I use it with my french vocabulary and Anki and it works great, just perfect. I don’t have any strange coding problem. âáà seems to be fine.

I don’t open it with the spreadsheet program (numbers, in my case). I open it with “textedit” (a program just like notepad) and then tell it to save it as “.txt”

You see strange characters in the .txt just like jeff says, but then I import it to Anki and you see them all just fine there.

When I import the vocabulary to Anki I have to add a third field in the model for the “example” field. Tell it also that you don’t want any definition repeated so you can import every week or month the entire vocabulary database and this way Anki will only add to your deck the new ones.