Exercise and training

I am not really into lifting weights but currently I’m trying to get back into martial arts again. I also do push-ups and sit-ups on a regular basis. While I can do up to 60 push-ups I’m terrible when it comes to pull-ups. I’m still in the one-digit area there :wink:

I have found that taking a long walk and doing some cardio training afterwards is the best way for me to prepare for a long study session.

I am also cutting down on my carbohydrate intake, while increasing the amount of vegetables. Nothing spectacular, but so far it has worked fine for me. I feel much more energetic. (If only I could find a way to better control my addiction to chocolate …).

@Robert: lifting weights and developing strength and explosiveness will definitely help with martial arts, and really, just about any physical endeavour in life. You just have to find a way to enjoy it :wink:

@David: Definitely read SS if you can. I just ordered the hardback version, although I’ve essentially internalised the contents of the kindle edition. It’s a work of genuine magnificence.

@David: I certainly understand the financial side of it being a poor student myself. It could be possible for you to find a powerlifting gym that would not charge you. In the powerlifting sub-culture, many people train in ‘garage gyms’. My suggestion is go here: http://asp.elitefts.net/qa/

Post a question there and say you’re very interested in learning the barbell lifts and powerlifting and see if you can find a group of guys that train in Raleigh or the new town you will be moving too. Most powerlifters will be very helpful to someone interested in the sport.

If not, start educating yourself on the barbell lifts, read, find videos, analyze everything. Buy some PVC pipe about the size of a barbell (can be shorter) and practice the movements, take video’s of yourself doing them, analyze how what you are doing compares to what you see experienced lifters doing on youtube. This way you will at least be getting some practice in now. Come up with a consistent routine of bodyweight squats, pull-ups, push-ups, and ab work in the meantime and get to work! Doesn’t have to be anything complicated or perfect, just push yourself. Just do three sets of each every other day. The next week try and beat your numbers from last week.

@lovelanguageslll

In my experience pull-ups respond best to volume and frequency and not going to failure (this is important). Say for example you can get 7 pull-ups on on a maximal effort set. Try cutting that number in half, so we will do working sets of 3 reps each. Doing 5 sets of 3 reps should not be too difficult if you can do 7 pull-ups. Focus on making each rep perfect, staying controlled throughout the movement, making sure to initiate the movement from the lats (not the arms) and getting your chin well over the bar. I was able to reach a goal of 20 pullups with an approach similar to this:

-Do the 5 sets of 3, two or three times a week. The next week, add another set, so 6x3. Week after that do 7x3, finally on the 4th week do 8x3.

-When you’re getting 8x3 pretty easily start adding reps, so 5x4, 6x4, 7x4, 8x4

-5x5, 6x5, 7x5, 8x5 etc.

Keep going until you’re a pull-up machine!

Further to what ARay just mentioned, here’s the routine I wrote for my little brother (no idea if he’s actually stuck with it, but I digress):

This is all bodyweight stuff:

Squats: 3x30
Push ups:3x20
Chin ups: 3x10
Planks: 3x2:00

At least three times a week. Just basic stuff, really.

ad ARay and Chris: Thank you for your help. I’ll definitely try out what you suggested. I’ll keep you updated on how things are going.

I’m almost as excited about getting back to some of my former work-out routine as I am when I start studying a new language :wink:

I want to do some regular cardio training as well. I promised one of my brothers (we used to train in the same kick-boxing club when we were teenagers and young adults; he was much better than me though, winning quite a few regional and national championships) that we’d be sparring on a regular basis again.

After a long conference, there is hardly anything more relaxing and at the same time energizing than a couple of sparring rounds, preferably with someone who likes you well enough not to kick your butt :wink:

I just watched a youtube tutorial on how to do pull-ups (so I’d better understand what ARay told me). I have to say that I’ve never been a fan of that kind of exercise (probably because I have always been pretty bad at it) but the guy who did the tutorial started the video with a hilarious sentence that kind of motivated me: “Hi guys, let me show you why I like hanging out at the bar” :wink:

lovelanguageslll: Pull-ups are great, definitely hard work but worth the effort. Some other things to keep in mind that may help:

1. Focus on staying tight throughout your entire body for the duration of the movement. When I do pull ups I’m stabilizing my entire body by contracting my abs, glutes, and quadriceps (I keep my legs straight, obviously you may not be able to if the pull up bar is too low). I’m only moving at the shoulder and elbow joints. I can’t stand watching people do sloppy pull-ups. You should just be moving up and down, no swinging, no kipping or cheating or any other nonsense.

2. To learn how to contract your lats, think about starting the pull from just below and behind your arm pits, not with your arms. This should get your scapula moving properly and get the lats activated in the movement. When I trained athletes, I would often stand behind them and “karate chop” them lightly in the lats while they were starting each pull up to give them an idea of what muscle I wanted them to contract.

3. I personally would always prefer to see my athletes do 1 or 2 perfect pull ups rather than 5 awful looking ones. You can build up the strength to do more provided you follow a logical progression.

4. While this may seem to contradict the above, don’t stress out too much about getting everything perfect at first. Just start putting the work in, you will get better. Any exercise, whether it is a pull up, a squat or a deadlift is a skill. It takes many hours of practice to become proficient in it.

Edit: “Lats” is meathead slang for the latissimus dorsi if you did not know…

I’ll hopefully be starting SS this weekend, though who knows. Given my shoulder imbalances and issues, would it be advisable to add some rear delt-specific work in, or would the general stretching and basic barbell movements be sufficient? Also, does anyone know if a massage therapist is especially helpful for relieving muscle tightness, particularly in the pecs and anterior delts (part of the problem I think)?

“…Given my shoulder imbalances and issues, would it be advisable to add some rear delt-specific work in…”

Generally yes, most people in modern society have very weak upper back strength and are very tight up front through the pecs/anterior delt/biceps tendon. I would definitely add some direct rear delt work in along with lots of volume rowing (see that first response of mine in the thread). This is generally the first course of action for any scapular or glenohumeral joint disfunction.

As far as a massage therapist, it could be worth a few trips, especially if you can find an A.R.T. practitioner. You could also try stretching and some self myofascial release with a lacrosse ball or baseball, this will most likely be cheaper.

I’m hesitant to modify SS, since Rippetoe repeatedly says to do it as written, but how would you change it given my situation? People often replace power cleans with rows, but I don’t know if that’s a good idea.

From what I remember it goes something like this. Bench/Press alternating. I see no need for you to do power cleans give your injury and training history as well as goals.

Monday:
Squat - 3x5
Bench/Press - 3x5
DB Rows/Pullups - 4x8-15
Rear Delts - 4x10-20
Biceps
Triceps
Abs

Wednesday:
Squat - 3x5
Bench/Press - 3x5
Deadlift - 1x5
DB Rows/Pullups - 4x8-15
Rear Delts
Abs

Friday:
Squat - 3x5
Bench/Press - 3x5
DB Rows/Pullups - 4x8-12
Rear Delts
Biceps/Triceps
Abs

Edit: I wouldn’t worry about modifying a program for your needs, provided it fits your goals and there is a reason for it. The most important thing is you are following the PRINCIPLES of the program.

Yeah that looks pretty solid. I was even looking at Jason Blaha’s"Icecream Fitness" 5x5, which you may or may not have heard of:

Only problems are I can’t really afford one of those hyperextension contraptions at the moment, and I won’t have access to cables.

The idea of power cleans is rather appealing to me, even though it’s not really suited to a strictly hypertrophy-focused program. When I get everything set up next week, I’ll only have access to a barbell and minimal dumbbell weights, and I pretty much plan to keep it that way. When I was at the gym, I had access to so much crap that it was difficult to resist the temptation to incorporate everything. By sticking primarily with a barbell, I can focus on a more minimalist, meat-and-potatoes type of routine and actually make some progress this year.

I’ve pretty much become “that dude” who goes to the gym several times a week, but never gets anywhere. And despite the fact that I keep going, it can get pretty demotivating. I think a really simple, strength-based routine like SS, or even Icecreamfitness 5x5 or the one you designed just now, would be the best plan forward.

I’m hopefully setting up shop this Saturday or Sunday in my grandfather’s garage now since the quotes I got for a shed were between $7000-13,000. Hilariously overbudget.

ad ARay: Thank you for your detailed description. I really appreciate it. You sure sound like someone who knows what he is talking about.

P.S. You are studying German, right? So, maybe one day we can talk about all this in German just to practise your language skills.

@Chris: I have not heard of Jason Blaha. I gave it a quick look and it certainly seems to be a decent 5x5 type program. Rippetoe, Windler, Louie Simmons, the guy under the bridge (or youtube) pedaling his routine, are not the Gods of training. Don’t get too caught up in in doing one particular thing. Don’t over think it. There are many ways to get stronger. Essentially all solid strength routines boil down to this. Focus on the major barbell lifts, follow a logical progression to lift progressively heavier loads. Eat. Sleep. Repeat. Develop a plan for your goals, follow through with that plan, reassess, learn.

“…I’ve pretty much become “that dude” who goes to the gym several times a week, but never gets anywhere. And despite the fact that I keep going, it can get pretty demotivating…”

Nip this type of negative thinking in the bud now! Get your attitude right and expect more from yourself. Your mindset can make all the difference between getting crushed by a weight and smoking it. My suggestion is pick a program and establish goals for a 12 week period. I would recommend just picking Rippetoe’s routine or either of the similar 5x5 type programs. COMMIT to it and attack that program day in and day out out 12 weeks. Provided you have specific and realistic (you’re not going to be squatting 5 plates 12 weeks from now) goals and follow through with your program consistently, you will be satisfied with your progress. Get after it bud! I’m happy to help you set this up if you’d like.

lovelanguageslll: Das wäre prima, aber ich glaube, mein Deutsch ist noch nicht sehr gut. Ich lerne täglich, so vielleicht können wir nach ein paar Monate (Monaten?) in Deutsch reden, wenn mein Deutsch besser ist!

ad ARay: (…) … Das wäre prima, aber ich glaube, mein Deutsch ist noch nicht sehr gut. Ich lerne täglich, so vielleicht können wir nach ein paar Monate (Monaten?) in Deutsch reden, wenn mein Deutsch besser ist! (…)

Hut ab! Dein Deutsch klingt bereits jetzt ausgezeichnet. Ich bin sehr beeindruckt.

(…) …vielleicht können wir nach ein paar Monaten …(…)