Everyday phrases for beginners

I couldn’t find the thread about this so I’m starting a new one…I never did get the hang of the forum search function!

I have downloaded and am listening to Vera’s diary. It is simple material for beginners in German. It’s everyday vocabulary, all in the present tense, about getting up, going to work etc. The lessons are only about a minute long but they run one after the other on my mp3 player without pauses. As I haven’t heard it all yet I don’t know how long the collection is in total, I’m guessing about 15 minutes.

I first learned German many years ago at school. I can therefore say “I brush my teeth every morning” but I can’t say “I put the coffee grounds in the coffee maker and make myself a cup of coffee”, because coffee makers weren’t around when the school’s text books were first written! Likewise I can say “I need to fill my fountain pen with black ink” but I can’t say “Damn! I’ve got the Blue Screen of Death again!”

The next collection I shall listen to is Vera’s Tagebuch, which seems to be in a very similar format but using slightly more advanced language.

It would be great to have material like this for Russian! Even though I am studying authentic material, I would struggle to say “I had eggs on toast for breakfast and then I cleaned my teeth” in Russian. The book I learned my first sentences of Russian from started with “Where is your visa?” and didn’t teach me the kind of vocabulary I would use on a daily basis. Likewise “I just need to save this file before I switch off my PC and put the kettle on” is not a phrase that ever comes up in Chekhov.

What do you think Rasana?

Hi Helen, Thank you for listening to my diary. The collection is still under construction. I’ve now written 35 episodes but the recording and the upload is a bit behind :slight_smile:

You are right “Vera’s Tagebuch” contains the same stories in a more advanced language. And I record it in a normal rate of speech.

I speak about daily routines but also about things that happens to me, or about special events.

Eggs on toast in Russian? Russians don’t eat eggs on toast. In Soviet Russia eggs on toast eat you!

Chekhov might have written about eggs, tea, and computer in this manner:

Откушавши яиц на тосте, Авдотий Макарович подумал про себя: “А недурно бы сейчас чайку испить. Вот сейчас пойду чайник поставлю на огонь. Только надобно бы сперва вот этот файлик сохранить-с. Да-с, и компьютер выключить. А там и чайку можно-с.”

astamoore,
жжёшь!

I think, it might be something like “What is Emma doing right now” collection.
Every day I will post what I did/do/am going to do today in Russian and English (Ha! But it seems I do not know these basic phrases in English!), and once a week will record it.

Btw!

Eggs on toast in Russian? Russians don’t eat eggs on toast

Yes, I don’t eat eggs on toast, I eat eggs “inside” toast. It is called “sun in the window” (солнышко в окошке). I don’t know how popular this “dish” is among other Russians, but I eat this rather often. You take a piece of bread, cut out the middle (so, now you have a “window frame”), put this on the frying pan, and break egg inside the frame. I wait a little and the turn it over.

I searched in the Internet: a lot of Russians eat “sun in the window” :)))

http://www.sladkiydesert.ru/news/2007-05-11-246 - “sun in the window”
Солнышко в домике", рецепт приготовления - “Sun in the house”
Горячие бутерброды с окороком, помидорами и яйцами - open hot sandwich a-la “sun in the window”

Actually, what Helen meant was more along the lines of this:

http://bit.ly/4zJCS2

or even this:

http://bit.ly/Ow697

I may be wrong, though.

What you described is called eggs in a basket.

Now you made me hungry. Should I make some French toasts? Nah, too much trouble.