Etymology of words and Latin

Ah, sorry, I misread what you meant in that sentence.

No problem! By the way, that’s another nice example of a German/Russian calque
Circumstance = Umstand / Обстоятельство

Knowing a little latin actually helps a lot in recognizing the possible meanings of words I come across in French and Italian, even in my native English. I came across “impecunious” in a sentence just today and realized it must have something to do with not having any money because the latin for money is “pecunia”!

I recently spent some time looking at Roman and latin exhibitions in a museum, and I was able to decode some of the latin words from other words I already know in latin languages. There was a latin word “ventus” which I deduced must mean wind because the French for wind is “le vent”. Sure enough I was right!.

I took two years of Latin in high school many, many years ago. Shortly after I graduated high school there was something in the our big city newspaper questioning the value of teaching Latin. I wrote a letter to the editor explaining how useful I’d found it in understanding English and using it well, and the letter got published. I’ve thought about going to the microfilm archives of the county library and seeing if I can find that letter.

By the way, I mentioned this letter to my wife, whom I did not meet until I had graduated college, perhaps five or six years after the fact, and she says she that she actually remembers seeing that letter to the editor.