Entertainments in our life

Recently we (me and my friends) discussed on entertainments in our life. If the entertainment is anything that gives positive emotional experience, should we limit the time for entertainment?

I wonder if you are talking about the diminishing marginal utility.
File:UtilityQuantified.svg - Wikipedia File:UtilityQuantified.svg - Wikipedia

If entertainments are related to our “needs,” I wonder which need is satisfied by them.
Maslow’s hierarchy of needs Maslow's hierarchy of needs - Wikipedia
Maslow's hierarchy of needs - Wikipedia

I think, that our entertainments (reading books, idle talking with friends, listening music ect.) is not living essentials. When I spend a lot of time by my wishes, I begin to have some doubt in my choice. I think: why I do it? There are many things that more useful for me. On the other hand, entertainments results in elevated mood and it is important too. So where is golden mean?

We are supposed to do what we want to do at our own risk. Nothing can be attained without any sacrifice. I wrote thus in my comment elsewhere.
I suppose it is difficult or impossible to find the so-called golden mean, although we should always beware of risks or opportunity costs.

Personally, I feel that learning more than two foreign languages is very risky for me, however entertaining it might be.

hello, tora3! Why do you think that learning more than two foreign languages is risky for you?

My tongue is old and conservative, and hates speaking foreign languages. I want to keep a good relationship with my tongue.

Hi, tora-san! I wish you Merry Christmas and Happy New year!
It seems that I understood you. Do you learn foreign languages as hobby? Is it not necessary for your job?

Sometimes people cannot describe their motives behind their behaviours.
Why do I write? Posting on the forums is an act of procrastination. It is unquestionably true.

Trust me, posting on the forums is a good and healthy exercise for your language training. However, I doubt that enjoying entertainment is an economic loss: it is a big business in any country . If you’re not sure of this just think how much work is needed for a single movie, and try to collect some data. Anyway, you have to balance working hours with spare time, even if “do-nothingness” is a delightful thing.

Trust me, posting on the forums is a good and healthy exercise for your language training. However, I doubt that enjoying entertainment is an economic loss: it is a big business in any country . If you’re not sure of this just think how much work is needed for a single movie, and try to collect some data. Anyway, you have to balance working hours with spare time, even if “do-nothingness” is a delightful thing.

Johann Wolfgang von Goethe: “Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must”.