Enlarging Chinese Characters?

Is there any way I can make the print out of my Chinese vocabulary print out the characters larger? They are far too small for me to see the intricate differences (I’m a totally newbie to Chinese!!). I can make them bigger on my screen, but I can’t get that size to print out. Ideas anyone?

I’m not sure if there’s any way to do this. You might want to adjust the zoom in the printer settings when you try to print the terms. If you are a paying member, you can also export terms in a csv file and print them from Excel or another compatible program. This would allow you to increase the font size fairly easily.

Copy into a text editor - change the font size. That should do it.

Alex! (You must be tired)

I tried copying into Word and it shows fine, but when it prints out, nothing prints. I tried using the print screen option to make it into a photo from Word, but no, it didn’t work either. I eventually succeeded by jumping through a few hoops. First, I had to change the setting to the click to make links/open lingqs. Then I copied it and pasted it into Google Translate. From there I could make it into a photo to print out.

Maybe this could be something to consider as an integration into the system? I’ve had a similar problem with the iPhone app. The characters are so new to me that I have to examine them closely, but they’re not big enough for me to really see. (Yep, I’m old and the eyes don’t like such small things!) At least on the computer screen I can make them bigger, but I can’t do that in the app. It would also be a nice feature in flashcards on the website.

I’ll just mention that Word is a ‘word processor’ and not a ‘text editor’. A text editor doesn’t keep the formatting rules given by word processors and sites like LingQ. Try adding a text to notepad instead, change the font size in the options and see how that works. Still, I don’t know why Word can’t handle it - that’s rather odd…

But, it would be an easy thing to implement ‘increase/decrease font’ buttons within the print view. Easily done with CSS.

Using notepad worked, however it prints out an annoying “Untitled” at the top and a “Page 1” etc. at the bottom (in humongous letters as well). Guess I can live with that one. :o) I have no idea why Word wouldn’t do it.

Still, having a size option would be nice for people who have difficulties seeing, especially for those languages that use characters that are so very different (I have the same issue with the Arabic too).

Glad that worked for you Chalkbrd.

I have good eyesight and I too have a problem reading those small Chinese characters too! So, it would be a good move in general, I think.

@Chalkbrd
I suggest to save or convert the document to pdf format.
You can easily to zoom in or zoom out the pdf with the adobe pdf reader.
You’ll read the pdf more comfortable.

I use a virtual PDF printer called doPDF. Now, when I hit the “print” button I get a PDF file. It is an easy way to get LingQ material onto my ebook reader. It’s also pretty easy to increase the size of Japanese script, either in creating the PDF or in viewing it afterwords.